United Remain Top After Win

Torquay United 3

Andrews (3), Janneh (15) Niate (54)


Welling United 1

Goldberg (Pen 60)



Torquay United extended their unbeaten run of league games to 11 with a 3 – 1 win against fellow promotion chasing Welling United at Plainmoor on Saturday afternoon.


Goals from Jake Andrews, Saikou Janneh & Jean-Yves Koue Niate gave United all three points, as Gary Johnson’s team went two points clear of Woking, at the top of National League South.


Johnson made one change from last week’s side, with Shaun MacDonald returning to goal in place of Alex Bass, who dropped to the bench.


The game was only 3 minutes old when the Gulls got a dream start when Andrews fired low past Dan Wilks from 25 yards out, after playing a one two with Kalvin Lumbobmbo-Kalala, following a United free kick.


Two minutes later and Torquay had a scare of their own, as a MacDonald’s clearance went straight to Danny Mils, however, the Welling forward couldn’t make it count as the Gulls eventually cleared their lines.


United’s second came on 15 minutes as a fine through ball from Jamie Reid was picked up by Janneh who struck a fantastic right footed curling effort into the net, from around 30 yards for his eighth of the season.


Welling created a couple of half chances in the first half, as Mils hit the outside of the post on 19 minutes before Bradley Goldberg had a well struck effort saved by MacDonald on the half hour.


Reid should have had his 17th of the season in the 38th minute, but the forward fired straight at the keeper from 12 yards, after Kalala had cut the ball back from inside the area. Four minutes before the break and Andrews tried another curling effort from the left of the box, however this time the ball sailed wide.


With the visitors making the first change at half time, it was still the home side that started quickest and their efforts were rewarded in the 54th minute as a ConnorLemonheigh-Evans free kick wasn’t cleared and Niate latched onto a fumble by Wilks following a shot on the turn by Janneh.


On the hour and Welling got back into the game with a converted Penalty by Goldberg, after Mils was brought down by MacDonald, as the forward rounded the keeper just outside the six-yard box.


Three minutes later and Reid fired powerfully across the box, but Wilks managed to get enough on the save to push the ball over the bar and out for another United corner.


Johnson made his first change of the afternoon in the 61st minute with Asa Hall replacing Andrews in midfield and it was the Torquay substitute who showed some fine close control and footwork inside the area with 20 minutes to play, but his curling shot was deflected wide.


With Welling pushing for a second, Gavin McCallum hit the bar direct from a corner as the wind assisted the visitors left back and caught the United keeper out.


As the game became stretched, Janneh shot straight at the keeper when either side would have made it 4 – 1 and McCallum tried his luck from a direct free kick in the 81st minute for the visitors.


The 2’467 United supporters went home happy on a wet and windy afternoon at Plainmoor, with another win.


Next up for Johnson’s men is an away trip to Boreham Wood in the FA Trophy 1st Round, before the league campaign sends the Gulls to Hampton & Richmond Borough and then it’s back to Plainmoor for the Boxing Day fixture against Truro City.


TUFC Starting XI (4-4-2): Shaun MacDonald, Ben Wynter, Jean Yves Koue Niate, Kyle Cameron (capt), Liam Davis, Connor Lemonheigh-Evans, Ruairi Keating, Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala (Ryan Dickson 79), Jake Andrews (Asa Hall 61), Jamie Reid, Saikou Janneh


Subs Not Used: Alex Bass, George Essuman, Jamie Sandle-White


Bookings: Andrews (30), Keating (45)


MOTM: Saikou Janneh 


Attendance: 2’467 (52 Away) 

1 Comment

  • Val harvey
    9th December 2018

    On your way back, miss away weekends at your place, I see as a hall playing for you, Good Luck rest of season from a Shrewsbury fan.

Post a Comment

...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon