Second half goals defeat Chesterfield

Second half goals defeat Chesterfield

Torquay United 2

Duke-McKenna 70, Little 80 (pen)


 Chesterfield 0




Two second half goals from Stephen Duke-McKenna and a penalty by Armani Little gave Torquay United all three points against play-off chasing Chesterfield at Plainmoor on Saturday afternoon, Infront of the BT Sport cameras.  


An impressive all-round performance from Gary Johnson’s team was showcased Infront of the BT Sport cameras and 3’075 supporters.


United made one change from their last game with Dan Martin returning for Chiori Johnson. Also in the match day squad was Olaf Koszela who returned to United after his loan spell at Dorchester Town.


The opening of the first half saw the visitors have the better of the possession but it was the gulls who had the better opportunities to take the lead when Asa Hall tested Chesterfield’s keeper Scott Loach with a long-range effort that had the keeper at full stretch to push the ball away for a corner.


Forward Danny Wright then had a half chance that was easily saved by Loach from a tight angle.


As Torquay grow into the game Chesterfield almost took advantage of a mix-up between Ali Omar and Hall but the United defender recovered well to block the shot from the visitors forward.


A trademark run on the right by the ever-lively Stephen Duke-McKenna saw the winger win a corner. A fine delivery by Armani Little was met by Hall who flicked the ball towards the goal but was denied by another fine save from Loach.


Chesterfield manager Paul Cook made a change at half time replacing Oyeleke with Jim Kellermann and the change seemed to have the desired effect with the visitors coming close to breaking the deadlock in the opening five minutes of the half.


A Jamie Grimes header went just wide of MacDonlad’s goal in the 46th minute before two minutes later a lovely low ball from the right by King couldn’t be turned into the net by Asante.


Duke-McKenna did well to cross the ball in the 53rd minute but Conor Lemonheigh-Evans couldn’t keep his header down and the ball floated harmfully over the visitor’s goal. Hall then took a knock to the head moments later and had to be replaced by Chiori Johnson.


Ben Wynter went close from 25 yards on the hour after good work on the left by Johnson and Wright then fired over from close range following a good cross by Little.


Duke-McKenna then opened the scoring in the 69th minute when a long ball by Omar was held up well by Wright before Duke-McKenna fired passed Loach from the right side of the area with his left foot low into the far corner.


Danny Rowe almost got Chesterfield level from a 30-yard free kick that clipped the outside of MacDonalds left post.


Torquay then wrapped up the points in the 80th minute when Little converted a penalty low to the keepers left after the same player had been tripped just inside the area.


The fourth official added an additional nine minutes onto the game before the yellow army gave the whole squad a standing ovation at the end of the match.


Torquay are away for their last two games of the season, firstly against Stockport on Wednesday and then Southend on the final Saturday of the 2021/22 campaign.



Torquay United XI: MacDonald, Wynter, Martin, Lapslie (Felix 82), Omar, Lemonheigh-Evans, Hall © (Johnson 57), Wright (Koszela 90), Little, Duke-McKenna, Lewis


Subs Not Used: Halstead, O’Cannell


Maidenhead United XI: Loach, Oyeleke (Kellermann 45), Gunning ©, Weston, Asante (Rowe 57), Mandeville, Williams, King, Grimes, Quigley, Whittle


Subs Not Used: Maguire, Denton, Khan


Attendance: 3’075 (894 away)


MOTM: Ali Omar (Torquay)



Post a Comment

...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon