SDFL Round Up – 13th October ’18

SDFL Round Up – 13th October ’18

Buckland Athletic Reserves and Dartmouth AFC share top spot in the WBW (Solicitors) SDFL Premier Division as they both enjoyed away wins against difficult opponents on Saturday writes Neil Hocking.


Kofi Shaw broke the deadlock for Buckland at Watcombe Wanderers and were given a boost when Stephen Woodcock was dismissed for the home side shortly afterwards. They sealed the win late on in the game after Shaw’s cross went in off a Watcombe player.


Both Buckland and Dartmouth have won their first five league games but Darts had to come from behind at Poole Lane when East Allington went ahead within the first two minutes through Josh Pascoe. 20 minutes later, former Pirate Lee Morgan set up Dan Rankin to level the scores before the break. With the wind in their favour, Dartmouth almost went ahead early in the second half, Richard Teague pulling off a good save from a free kick. Simon Hannaford had the ball in the net just before the hour mark but the East Allington striker’s effort was ruled offside. A few minutes later, Morgan rose unchallenged at the other end to power home an equalising header from Rankin’s corner. Darts finally wrapped up the win with a late goal from Bradley Frost who reacted quickest after a fine save by Teague to slot the ball home for 3-1.


A Jack Salmons brace and a single from Mathew Carroll saw Chudleigh Athletic three up at half-time in their home game against Kingskerswell and Chelston. Sam Heath reduced the deficit after the break but the home side won 3-1 for their third win out of four, ensuring they are currently third in the table.


A last minute Jack Smith header rescued a point for Kingsteignton Athletic as the Rams drew 2-2 with visiting Paignton Villa, Connor Crocombe with their other goal. The remaining three Premier games also ended in score draws. Braces from Callum Glew and Mark Griffiths helped Brixham AFC to a third draw of the season at home to defending champions Ashburton, 4-4 the final score. At the Foxhole Ground, neither Totnes and Dartington nor Roselands could pick up their first win of the campaign as their game ended 3-3. Joshua Squires scored twice for Tots with David Carroll also on target. Tom Dunlop scored a worldie and Adam Blackburn and Benjamin Ricketts also found the net for Roselands. The Red Army also bowed out of the Throgmorton Devon Premier Cup in midweek, Dom Osborne scoring in a narrow 2-1 defeat to Peninsula side Sidmouth Town.


Due to the county cups, there was only one Division One game played although it did feature 11 goals. Unfortunately for home side Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves, ten of those went to Torbay Police, Daniel Pagett with a hat-trick, Martin Luker and Jamie Bayliss with two apiece and Matthew Bleakley, Marc Hagland and Luke Dandy with singles. Ryan Fawden scored Spurs’ consolation.



A Jamie Micklewright hat-trick saw Paignton Saints through to the third round of the Firewatch Devon Senior Cup as the away side won 3-0 at Landkey Town. Beesands Rovers are also through with five second half goals in their home game against Newton St Cyres. A single Andy Espley goal was enough for Broadmeadow STFC who dispatched Pennycross SC while Buckland Athletic Thirds edged past Ivybridge Town Reserves 3-2 in extra-time in an all-SDFL tie.


Three Division Two sides are still in the competition. In another all South Devon tie, Riviera United knocked out Salcombe Town on penalties. Elsewhere Ipplepen Athletic enjoyed a 5-1 away win at Sampford Peverell while Meadowbrook Athletic beat Pinhoe 4-1 at home. Babbacombe Corinthians and Watcombe Wanderers Reserves are still in the hat but their games, at Halwill and Plymouth Marjon Reserves respectively, were postponed.



Post a Comment

...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon