Lewis goal earns United a point

Lewis goal earns United a point

Torquay United 1

(Lewis 90)

Maidenhead United 1

(Barratt 55)


A Joe Lewis equaliser in the 90th minute gave Torquay United a share of the points on Saturday afternoon at Plainmoor in front of 2’148 supporters, following Sam Barratt’s fierce volley in the 55th minute that had given Maidenhead the lead.


United manager Gary Johnson made one change to the starting line-up from United’s previous game, with Ali Omar coming in for Dean Moxey.


An uninspiring first half sore little for the yellow army to shout about. The best opportunity came via a 30-yard effort from full back Ban Wynter in the 41st minute, which produced a fine save from Maidenhead keeper Daniel Gyollai.


Minutes earlier Shaun MacDonald had to be on his toes when a strike from distance by George Wells had the United number one at full stretch to push the shot wide.


The opening to the second half was much livelier with Armani Little pulling a right footed strike wide from 12 yards, before referee Mr Jackson adjudged Omar had taken a dive inside the visitor’s area and showed the United defender a yellow card, when many inside Plainmoor thought there was a good case for a Torquay penalty.


Barratt’s brilliance then inside the United area, following a free kick from the left-hand side, saw the forward flick the ball up over a Torquay player before riffling a volley passed MacDonald to put the visitors in front, to the delight of 70 travelling supporters.


Danny Wright almost got the Gulls level in the 61st minute but his header at the far post was tipped over by Gyollai.


Wright then turned provider with a lovely, weighted pass for Tom Lapslie to run onto, but the hard-working midfielder could not beat the advancing Gyollai.


Asa Hall then found Wright at the back post and his clever header back into the centre of the box gave Connor Lemonheigh-Evans a chance, but his effort went high over the bar from 12 yards and another opportunity went begging for Johnson’s team.


United assistant manager Aaron Downes showed his frustrations to the match official and was shown a yellow card with three minutes of the 90 remaining before Lewis popped up at the back post to direct his header into the net from close range, following good work by Wynter to direct his looping cross back towards the gull’s defender.


Johnson’s team continued to push for a winner with five minutes of additional time added and substitute Klaidi Lolos found himself through on goal, but he decided to try and find a team mate rather than take the shot on himself and the visitors where able to clear and hang on for a point.



Torquay United XI: MacDonald, Wynter, Martin (O’Connell 72), Lapslie, Omar (Lolos 90), Lemonheigh-Evans, Hall ©, Wright, Little, Duke-McKenna (Johnson 72), Lewis

Subs Not Used: Halstead, Edwards


Maidenhead United XI: Gyollai, Wakely, Wells, Donnellan, Blissett, Ferdinand, Sheckleford (Sparkes 72), Upward, Massey©, Barratt (Smith 81), Adams

Subs Not Used: Keetch, Acquah, McCoulsky


Attendance: 2’148 (70 away)

MOTM: Lewis (Torquay)

Post a Comment

...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon