Gulls Progress In The FA Cup

Torquay United 4

Kalala 37, Janneh 42, Lemonheigh-Evans 45, 55



Winchester City 1

Hayward (pen) 71



Torquay United progressed into the First Round of the Emirates FA Cup for the first time since the 2013/14 season, with a 4 – 1 win at Plainmoor on Saturday afternoon against Winchester City.


Goals from Kalvin Kalala, Saikou Janneh and two from Connor Lemonheigh-Evans, gave Gary Johnson’s side a comfortable afternoon in front of 2’202 United supporters.


United showed their intent from the first whistle with an early strike from Janneh that was tipped over by keeper Ryan Pryce for a corner, the resulting phase of play saw Asa Hall fire over from the edge of the area inside the opening 3 minutes. Janneh himself then had a half chance on 8 minutes that the United forward might have done better with.


Jamie Reid had his first piece of the action on 15 minutes when the United forward had claims for a penalty as his strike looked to have come off Connor Cocklin’s hand but the referee was unmoved and the visitors cleared away after a good save by Pryce.


Gulls defender Kyle Cameron almost gave Torquay the lead in the 33rd minute with a header from very close range after Lemonheigh-Evans had cut inside the box and got his shot away, however an outstretched leg saw the header from Cameron go over the bar and out for another United corner.


The home side did get their deserved breakthrough in the 37th minute when Kalvin Kalala strike from the left edge of the area was deflected over the stranded Pryce and into the back of the net.


Five minutes later and the Gulls had doubled their lead. A lovely floated cross by Reid from the dead ball line, was met just inside the six-yard box by Janneh who’s header gave Pryce no chance.


Deep into first half added time and Lemonheigh-Evans made it 3-0 when he finished low into the bottom corner after a move which involved some fine link play with Reid on the edge of the area.


Into the second half and United continued to push for more goals. Lemonheigh-Evans should have made it 4 in the 51st minute but the United man couldn’t control his effort as the ball went high over the bar. However, the midfielder made amends moments later to claim his second of the afternoon, as he steered his shot into the net from 12 yards.


Hall, right footed, then tried to curl a lovely effort from the edge of the area, with the United captain going mighty close to adding another for Johnson’s men. Reid then tried his luck from a similar position buy yet again the keeper produced a wonderful save.


United’s own keeper Shaun MacDonald then got himself in all sorts of trouble on the edge of the area, before pulling down Winchesters Oli Bailey. The referee had no recitation in pointing to the spot and showed MacDonald a yellow card, when a red could have easily been given. Joe Hayward scored the resulting spot kick in the 71st minute.


Moments later and Hayward picked up his second yellow of the game and Winchester where reduced to 10 men.

Substitute Brett Williams made Pryce produce a fine diving save with 10 minutes to go, Reid once again tried to get onto the scoresheet but the Gulls top scorer was yet again denied by the visitor’s keeper.


Having produced several high class saves in the game to keep the score line respectable, Pryce then thwarted Ruairi Keating with a one handed save in stoppage time at the end of the 90 minutes.


Following the fine whistle United’s manager said “I thought the first half we did ok, I thought we were relentless in our attacking and in the end, they (Winchester) couldn’t cope with so many runs and balls through. I think the supports were enjoying it and there were three good goals in a 10-minute spell so I was very pleased with them. Second half we took our foot off the gas a little bit and we shouldn’t have done. First half we put a lot of effort in but second half was just a little bit below the standards we are looking for.”


Its back to the league campaign for Johnson and his Torquay side next Saturday, as they travel to Wealdstone, kick off 3pm.


TUFC Starting XI (3-5-2): MacDonald, Essuman (Winter 81), Koue Niate, Cameron, Edwards, Lemonheigh-Evans, Hall, Kalala (Keating 66), Davis, Janneh (Williams 66), Reid 


Subs Not Used: Burton


Bookings: MacDonald 70, Keating 73


MOTM – Asa Hall 


Attendance: 2’202 



Post a Comment

...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon