United Extend Unbeaten League Run

Torquay United 4

Lemonheigh-Evans (25), Kalala (31), Hall (33)

Janneh (49)


Truro City 2

Harvey (16), Lewington (85)



Gary Johnson’s Torquay United remained two points clear of Woking at the top of the Vanerama National League South, following their 4-2 Boxing Day victory over Truro City in front of a fantastic 3’863 supporters.


Johnson made one change from the eleven that started against Hampton & Richmond, with the recalled Kyle Cameron replacing Jamie Sendles-White, after the defender had served his one match ban.


Following a slow start to the game by Torquay, in which the home side fell behind to a 16th minute Tyler Harvey volley, United then produced some delightful play that included three goals in a devastating 8-minute spell that effectively gave the Gulls the win and extend their unbeaten run in the league to 13 games.


Connor Lemonheigh-Evans produced the equaliser in the 25th minute when the midfielder curled his shot from the angle of the 18-yard box and over Harvey Rivers into the far corner. Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala then put the hosts into the lead with his fourth of the season in the 31st minute with another effort from the edge of the area that sailed over Rivers.


Asa Hall then got in on the act in the 33rd minute when his right footed strike beat Rivers, this time from around 30-yards.


The home side continued to push for more goals before the break, Jake Andrews, Jamie Reid and Janneh all going close.


Following the half time break, Torquay continued where they left off, with Reid once more denied, this time his attempt was blocked and the ball went out for a United corner. However, the home fans did not have to wait long when, in the 49th minute, Janneh scored a fine solo goal from the edge of the box, low into the net, for his eleventh of the season.


The second half didn’t live up to the vast majority of the first half for Johnson’s men, but the United lead never looked in too much trouble even when MacDonald was forced to make a fine save at the feet of Harvey inside the six-yard box. The lively Harvey had also beaten Cameron to the ball moments earlier but the forward fired over from inside the box.


Reid, Ben Wynter and Liam Davis all went close to adding to the score line in the last quarter of the match, but none of the United men could find that telling finish.


Truro never gave up and the visitors managed to get their second in the 85th minute, when Jared Lewington found the back of the net via the underside of the bar, after a cross from the right by River Allen.


It’s a quick turn around for Johnson’s men as the Christmas programme continues with another home game on Saturday afternoon against Gloucester City before the return New Year’s Day fixture against Truro City.


TUFC Starting XI (4-4-2): Shaun MacDonald, Ben Wynter, Jean Yves Koue Niate, Kyle Cameron (capt), Liam Davis, Connor Lemonheigh-Evans, Asa Hall, Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala, Jake Andrews, Jamie Reid, Saikou Janneh


Subs Not Used: George Burton, George Essuman, Jamie Sandle-White, Olaf Koszela, Samir Nabi


TUFC Bookings: None


MOTM: Jean-Yves Koue Niate 


Attendance: 3’863 (83 Away) 

Post a Comment

...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon