Buckland Ladies Draw Watford Ladies In FA Cup

Buckland Athletic Ladies continued their fine start to the season with a 2 – 0 win against Cheltenham Town Ladies, in the first round of the Women’s FA Cup on Sunday afternoon at Homers Health and secured a second round tie against Watford Ladies away. 



The yellows win against their league rivals came curtesy of goals by Sarah Stacey in the first half and Natalie Warman mid-way through the second half. The game was played in very heavy conditions due to the amount of rain that had fallen over the days leading up to the fixture.



In the opening 10 minutes the visitors had the better of the possession but as in Buckland’s game the week before, the yellows grew into the game and pressed Cheltenham back as they started to create several chances.



On 13 minutes a good cross from N.Warman created a good chance for Stacey and a minute later Laura Gough tested the keeper. Maria Warman then collected a throw from Taylor Beales before trying to curl her effort into the far corner but the shot went narrowly wide.



With 19 minutes on the clock Buckland found the all-important opening goal. A direct free kick by Leah Brooks just outside the area was flicked goal wards by skipper Courtney Butt and there was Stacey to head home from inside the six-yard box at the far post.



With the pitch becoming hard to play on in some areas, the game turned into a real battle in the midfield, with some strong tackles coming in from both sides.



Abbi Bond was then made to work in the Buckland goal 10 minutes before the break and produced a fantastic save to tip a shot over the bar from distance.



Neither manager made a change at the break and both sides had opportunities to get goals in a frantic opening spell of the second half.



As in the first half Cheltenham had the better of the early possession and must have thought they were back on level terms in the 54th minute but somehow the ball stayed out of Buckland goal following a scramble inside the six-yard box after Bond had fumbled the initial strike on goal.



A minute later and Buckland were on the front foot, Gough making the Cheltenham keeper save low to her right but Stacey couldn’t convert the rebound from close range.



Both managers then made changes as the visitors tried to get back into the game, however it was the home side that again went close when Carla Staddon forced another good save from Cheltenham’s keeper on 66 minutes.



Buckland didn’t have to wait to much longer to give themselves a two goal lead, when a shot from substitute Sarah Smith was saved and N.Warman was on hand to finish right footed from just inside the area, for her 9th of the season.


M.Warman then came close to adding a third however her drive from 14 yards smashed against the bar and away to safety.


Buckland’s second round tie against Watford will take place on the 2nd December.


Post a Comment

...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon