Penalty Ups and Downs for Buckland (Local Football Round-Up Part 1/2)

teignmouth exeter university throgmorton devon premier cup 2014 sport south devon

Penalty Ups and Downs for Buckland (Local Football Round-Up Part 1/2)

It’s been a story of four days and four penalties for Buckland Athletic, with two spot-kicks for Street putting an end to the Yellows’ five match unbeaten run on Saturday, and two Kieran Parkin spot-kicks seeing them through to the quarter-finals of the Edenvale Turf Ltd. St Luke’s Challenge Cup at the expense of Barnstaple Town.

Gavin Hammon was back in action for Buckland on Saturday as the Western League leaders entertained Somerset side Street, and the danger man wasted no time on getting back on to the score sheet, converting Sam Parkin’s assist to open the scoring on 18 minutes. In the meantime, September’s Safe Hands winner Grant Fisher, unbeaten in nearly 8 hours of football, had done well to keep out visiting defender Lee Begg’s header. Fisher did pass that 8 hour mark, but George Buckmaster’s 37th minute foul on Steve Murray conceded the penalty that would end it, Murray scoring to level the match. Hammon was close to restoring Bucks’ lead, but Begg’s superb tackle and long clearance sent Craig Herrod away. When Herrod was upended in the box, up stepped Murray again to put Street ahead on 52 minutes, the visitors becoming the first side to score more than once against Buckland in the league this season. Dale Hunt set up Murray for his hat-trick, but Fisher denied him. However, Street would not be denied the win which would ultimately see Adam Castle’s side slip to second following a Tuesday night win for new leaders Bristol Manor Farm. The disappointment was mitigated as Buckland beat Barnstaple Town 2-0 away in a bad-tempered Edenvale Turf Ltd. Devon St Luke’s Challenge Cup match that saw a player each sent off and both goals put away from the penalty spot courtesy of Kieran Parkin. Bucks will have to wait to see who they will meet in the quarter-finals with Stoke Gabriel’s first round tie against Ivybridge Town rained off.

Buckland’s next match is not until 17th October as they travel to struggling Welton Rovers.

Stoke had no game last weekend but all South Devon clubs were in action in the Peninsula Division One East. A blistering start at Coombe Valley saw two chances cleared off the line, a Ryan Bush effort disallowed and a Hayden Roe penalty missed for Teignmouth as they hosted Budleigh Salterton. But two goals before half time, from Bush and Craig Nosworthy, ensured Geoff Breslan’s side got the victory they deserved and stayed just two points off leaders St. Martins who won 6-1 away at bottom side Okehampton Argyle.

Bovey Tracey missed the chance to move into the top three with defeat at Axminster Town. Danny Malick’s goal had secured the Moorlanders the three points in a midweek home derby with Brixham AFC, but despite Dan Taylor’s strike, home midfielders Alex Wheatley and Jonny Hereford made sure of  third successive win for Axminster. Galmpton United are the only other South Devon side in the top half of the table and they edged their home derby against Totnes & Dartington 2-1 on Saturday.

There was more good news for Newton Abbot Spurs who defeated Alphington Town at the Rec, despite playing much of the game with Joe Andrews deputising in goal. Andrews stepped into the breach after reserve goalkeeper Paul Green was hospitalised following a first half clash of heads. Town nearly took the lead before the break as Pat Darke missed a sitter by heading wide, but the sides went in goalless. The deadlock was broken on 54 minutes, young Jack McAndrew spilling Sam Hancox’s speculative effort over the line, and when the goalkeeper reacted angrily following a clash with Steve Mardell his afternoon was at an end. Nevertheless, it was Town who scored next, Jonny Holding heading home skipper Gary Wills’ left-wing cross to level the game just after the hour mark. After Darke had spurned another great chance for the visitors, it was the turn of home captain Kevin Dadd to make an impact. Dads volleyed home from the edge of the box, 11 minutes from time, to secure himself a rare place on the score sheet – and his side a hard-earned three points.

Elsewhere, Brixham AFC lost out 2-0 at home to the Division’s only unbeaten side, Tivertown Reserves, while Liverton United slumped to a 7-2 defeat at Sidmouth Town, Cameron Vere with a hat-trick for the hosts.

The weekend’s Herald Cup and SDFL round-up will follow in Part Two…



Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon