Buckland on Point at Hinckley to Make Last Eight of FA Vase

FA Vase Logo

Buckland on Point at Hinckley to Make Last Eight of FA Vase

 A stunning comeback after an horrendous start at Hinckley saw Buckland Athletic move yet another step closer to Wembley with a 4-3 victory in the FA Vase Fifth Round.


Buckland started well up front but were ponderous at the back and an attack-minded home side took full advantage, Sam Agar finishing an 8th minute move to open the scoring. Three minutes later and Buckland looked well on course for cup exit as they conceded a second, Agar again netting. But the Yellows staged a comeback before half-time with Lloyd Gardner and Gavin Hammon wiping out the hosts’ lead to send the sides in level. Hinckley managed to get themselves in front again after the break, somewhat against the run of play, and it was that man Agar again who was celebrating. But again Bucks roared back, Gardner completing his brace to secure an extra 30 minutes of football. Richard Groves then found his scoring touch in extra-time to put the visitors ahead for the first time in the game. The Midlands Division One outfit hit the bar as they tried to salvage the game but couldn’t get the goal they needed.



Buckland also continue to do well in the league, winning both of this month’s league games against Longwell Green Sports (away) and Shepton Mallet. There were no goals in the first half at Longwell Green and the hour mark came and went with the sides still locked together. Then, on 73 minutes, Jared Lewington sent a shot against the bar. Nick Rudge was quickest to react to put the visitors in front. The deadlock broken, Buckland went on to score twice more through Gavin Hammon and Si Revell to seal a 3-0 win.



 Next up was a home tie against Shepton Mallet and, although they had marginally more possession, neither the Yellows nor their visitors were able to create much of a threat in front of goal in the opening exchanges. Buckland did take the lead on 29 minutes, Lloyd Garner’s cross headed home by Jared Lewington, but only for a couple of minutes before Cameron Sanford hit a fine long-range shot to level, Grant Fisher with no chance. After the interval, Richard Groves dispossessed a visiting defender before nutmegging Tom Easterbrook to put Bucks back in front. Si Laughton created some daylight when he lobbed Easterbrook with a cross-cum-shot and the home side maintained the 3-1 scoreline until the final whistle.

Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon