Broadmeadow Lift Les Bishop Cup – Local Football Round-Up Part 3/3

broadmeadow stfc sdfl sport south devon buckland and milber

Broadmeadow Lift Les Bishop Cup – Local Football Round-Up Part 3/3

Teignbridge-based Broadmeadow STFC won their first ever SDFL trophy, and the first divisional cup of the 2015/16 season with a 3-1 victory over Newton Rovers in last night’s Les Bishop Cup final, held at Coach Road.
Glyn Ballman’s side, who last year achieved promotion in their debut season, took an early lead after a scrappy start, Emery netting with a deflected shot after just three minutes. The goal signalled a good period of attacking play for Broads while Rovers found themselves frustrated by their opponents defence or, when they did break through, the linesman’s flag. Rovers’ best chance to draw level came on 30 minutes, but a headed effort from six yards out went straight to Shillabeer in the Broads goal. Five minutes later it was Broadmeadow who were pulled up by the linesman after Ross had thought he’d doubled their lead by following up his own parried shot.

Newton Rovers had the best of the opening exchanges in the second half but failed to capitalise and went further behind after a superb attack led to Emery’s 53rd minute goal, struck low into the corner. Rovers kept plugging away though, and were rewarded with a goal on 64 minutes to set up a thrilling finale, Shillabeer preventing an equaliser five minutes later by tipping the ball over his crossbar; six minutes later, Rovers hit the same piece of woodwork as they continued to press. But two minutes later, Rovers found themselves two goals behind again, Ross forcing their ‘keeper into a save before heading in the rebound. A competitive end to the match saw plenty of spirit from both sides but no more goals and Broads were soon lifting their first piece of silverware aloft.

The final capped an eventful week of action in the SDFL.

It may still be just about Buckland Athletic Reserves’ crown to lose, but the Premier title swung slightly Watcombe Wanderers’ way due to a combination of the Greens’ 3-1 win at Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves and dropped points from both of their title rivals. Sam Pyne, Curtis Booth and Owen Stockton scored Watcombe’s goals at the Rec while Dartmouth AFC, who were held 1-1 at home to Upton Athletic in midweek, also drew 1-1 at Buckland. Another top six battle saw East Allington United defeat Brixham AFC Reserves 2-0 at Poole Lane, Chris Jebb and Tom Rowdon scoring the Pirates’ goals. Ivybridge Town Reserves came away from Herald Cup winners Waldon Athletic with all the points, winning 4-2 to move up to fifth, while Kingskerswell and Chelston stretched their unbeaten run to five with the only goal at home to Loddiswell Athletic. Stoke Gabriel Reserves face a nervy end to the season after being trounced 9-1 at Upton Athletic. Only three points separate the Railwaymen from bottom side Loddiswell who have two games in hand. Buckland were also frustrated at home to Brixham on Tuesday night, held 0-0 by the Fishermen, but ended the week by taking it out on Upton Athletic on Thursday, scoring eight times through Gav Collins (4), Charlie Johansen (2), Matt Beer and Kieran Parkin. Between those two games, Darts got back on track as Rushe’s goal proved enough to beat rivals East Allington. Darts are at home to Watcombe today in a critical match which will shape the title run-in for all three contenders.

In Division One, Newton Abbot ’66 threw down the gauntlet to their title rivals with an impressive 3-0 win against leaders Ipplepen Athletic which they followed with a 4-1 midweek win at home to Paignton Villa. A Josh Moore hat-trick helped Ashburton into the top three; the Ashes won 7-1 away at Moore’s former club Buckland & Milber, who scored through Cory Brennan. Beesands Rovers are starting to put a run together; the Bees moved ominously into the top six with a 3-2 win at Chudleigh Athletic, Lee Morgan, Tom Harvey and Finley Bullen with the goals. Casey Roberts helped to ensure that Babbacombe Corinthians had a good week in their unpredictable season with a hat-trick at Bovey Tracey Reserves. Callum Crews and Josh Haycox also found the net in a 5-1 victory. Corries then lost out 1-0 to Chudleigh in midweek. Paignton Villa hammered Kingskerswell and Chelston Reserves 6-1 away while goals from Brynnink and Beetschen couldn’t prevent Stoke Gabriel Thirds from being turned over 5-2 at home by lowly Totnes & Dartington Reserves.

Division Two leaders Roselands inched closer to the century goal mark with a 10-1 victory at Brixham Town. With Watcombe Wanderers Reserves in cup action, Buckfastleigh Rangers took their opportunity to move back up to second spot with a 4-1 victory over Newton United who scored through Cameron Gill. Harbertonford ,who had their semi-final win over Roselands overturned due to the ineligible player rule, bounced back with a 4-0 home win over Waldon Athletic Reserves in the league. Kingsteignton Athletic, unbeaten in the league this year, lifted themselves to fifth with a resounding 9-1 home triumph against Bishopsteignton United. Teignmouth Reserves are still level on points with the Rams after a 4-1 home triumph against Hookhills United. Abbotskerswell scored their first goal since February but it was not enough to prevent Paignton Saints from enjoying back-to-back wins as the hosts won a hard-fought encounter 2-1. Saints dominated but couldn’t find the breakthrough until the second half, the first goal coming thanks to a cross from Luke Johnson which left Ash Barlow with a simple tap in. Saints doubled their lead with another nice Johnson ball finding Colin Mullen in the right place. Abbots got their goal with about 15 minutes left and, with time running out, an Abbots striker rounded Saints ‘keeper Josh Blayber before being brought down for a penalty. But it was not to be as Blayber redeemed himself to save the penalty and secure all three points for Saints. Finally, Watcombe reclaimed second spot by beating Hookhills 4-0 on Wednesday evening.

Dartmouth AFC Reserves set up a cup final date with Liverton United Reserves after a comprehensive 6-0 win over Upton Athletic Reserves in the semi-final of the Ronald Cup. Cameron Webb led the goalscoring with a brace, Kevin Causley scored another penalty and there were singles from Mark Sneap, Joe Kirby and Nick Rushe.

In Division Three, another five goals from former Torquay United striker Ashley Yeoman helped leaders Salcombe Town past the ten men of Waldon Athletic Thirds; Duncan Scales managed a brace and there were goal contributions from Luke Milton, Ollie and Kieran Stallard, Nick Bonnet and Lee Merchant in a 12-1 mauling. Town’s title hopes then took a hit in midweek as they went down to a surprise 1-0 defeat at Harbertonford who then surprised Liverton with a 4-2 away win on Thursday night. AFC Staverton suffered their first league loss of 2016, Jonathan Parsons’ strike consolation only as visiting Liverton United Reserves won 3-1; but Stavy bounced back with a 5-3 win over East Allington United in midweek. Chudleigh Athletic Reserves enjoyed a better week, beating Harbertonford Reserves 1-0 in midweek before edging Teign Village 2-1 last Saturday. Both Ipplepen Athletic Reserves and East Allington Reserves could have done with wins but fought out a 1-1 draw at Moor Road; Ipplepen also drew 1-1 at Chudleigh on Thursday with Chudleigh having also collected a further three points with a 1-0 home victory over Upton Reserves two days earlier. Buckfastleigh Reserves picked up a valuable three points in their relegation battle, a single goal on Wednesday night enough to overcome Teign Village.

In Division Four, leaders Roselands made it ten league wins on the trot; visiting Meadowbrook Athletic found the net three times, through David Topham, Lee Sylvester and Mike Bristow, but the hosts managed six to extend their lead to 13 points. Meadowbrook also scored three times in their Tuesday evening clash with Broadmeadow, but the visitors scored four and Athletic were left empty-handed again. Barton Athletic missed their chance to move above Watcombe Wanderers Thirds by going down 3-1 at Kingsbridge & Kellaton United; they were then held 4-4 at Ashburton in midweek while Watcombe hammered Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves 8-0 away. Riviera United moved three points behind Barton after a 3-0 home win over struggling Torquay Town. Newton Rovers added to last week’s cup delight by claiming their first league win of the year, overcoming Paignton Villa Reserves 6-1 at Bakers Park; the joy was short-lived though as Rovers lost the reverse fixture 3-0 four day’s later before losing their cup final. Ilsington Villa’s spring revival continued with a more than respectable 3-3 home draw against Broadmeadow. However, Villa then lost out 2-1 at Newton ’66 Reserves on Thursday night. The mid-table clash between Ashburton Reserves and Newton Abbot ’66 Reserves ended all square with six goals shared.

In Division Five, the top of the table clash between Moretonhampstead and Riviera United Reserves ended with four goals and honours even, but United took over at the top on Wednesday night by overcoming Buckland & Milber 2-0. Newton United Reserves are back to winning ways in the league, Guttridge and Mills on target in a 2-0 win made sweeter by the fact that they were at home to rivals Newton Rovers Reserves; United then played out an entertaining 4-4 draw with Broadhempston United Reserves on Wednesday night. Watts, Blake & Bearne AFC secured their biggest win of the season – and also their first away from home – by beating Stoke Fleming & Strete 5-0; they then followed that feat up with a 6-2 win away at bottom club Chudleigh Athletic Thirds. Malborough United couldn’t quite do enough to put daylight between themselves and Chudleigh as an epic nine-goal battle at Barton Athletic Reserves just about went the way of the hosts; 5-4 the score from Barton Downs thanks to a Dyke hat-trick, a Vicary strike and an own goal. Chudleigh were also the victims of a tight defeat, going down 3-2 at home to Paignton Saints Reserves who had lost 6-5 to Broads the previous week. Saints didn’t really get going in the first half but still found themselves 2-1 up thanks to goals from Aaron Underhill and Sean Paul Hooton. Second half sub Daniel Clement got a third for Saints which proved just enough as Chudleigh pulled a goal back with 15 minutes left and had chances to equalise. But Saints Reserves stood firm and came away with the three points.

Watcombe Wanderers Reserves took revenge for their 2014 Fred Hewings Cup final defeat by dispatching Buckland Athletic Thirds at this year’s semi-final stage, Rui de Garces and Liam Northcott with the goals. Normal time finished 1-1 but Watcombe scored the decider in extra-time to end the visitors’ run of three successive trophies. Watcombe will face Division Three side Harbertonford Reserves who denied bottom tier Torbay Police Reserves a second cup final spot of the season by winning 4-1 in their semi.

Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon