TUFC 1 v 2 Barnet

torquay united gulls sport south devon

TUFC 1 v 2 Barnet

Torquay United fell to their second league defeat of the season at the Launa Windows Stadium on Saturday afternoon, against table topping Barnet, losing the game 2-1.

United manager Chris Hargreaves decided to keep the same starting eleven for the third game in concession but goals from Mauro Vilhete and John Akinde in the first half, condemned his side to defeat.

The game it’s self was a scrappy affair for most of the 90 minutes, with two players dismissed in the first half and some indifferent referring by Mr Huxtable, that clearly frustrated Hargreaves in the United technical area.

First Barnet’s Bondz N’Gala saw red in the 32nd minute, when he brought down Ryan Bowman on the edge of the box, when the United top scorer had flicked the ball past his man and was through on goal, with a clear scoring chance. The referee needed to consulate his assistant before producing the card from his pocket.

At this stage Barnet where already 1-0 up with Akinde feeding the ball into Vilhete who shifted the ball  inside Berry and then curled the his effort into the far corner of Rice’s goal giving the keeper no chance on 16 mins.

The number’s where then evened up before half time, when the referres assistant on the popular side, indicated to the referee that United’s Aaron Down’s had fouled his man off the ball in the penalty area. Down’s was shown a straight red for the incident on Barnet’s Akinde. The player himself got up to take the spot kick from 12 yards and slotted the ball into the bottom right hand corner, sending Rice the wrong way and giving the visitors a comfortable 2-0 score line.

Torquay did have some half chances in the half with Briscoe, Chapell and Bowman, all having attempts but Stack in the Barnet goal was equal to them all. Luke Young had a free kick blocked by the wall before Ajala followed up with a good strike but yet again the table topping side managed to clear their lines.

Rice running out with Downes struggling to cover his man and the United keeper took out Vilhete the angle of where the incident took place saving Rice from a clear red card.

With both managers having to make tactical subsitutions in the first half the game plan

Second home defeat of the season. Bowman taken off injured in the 48th minute. Young free kick into the wall Ajala side foot wide from the edge of the box.

TUFC: Rice, Berry, Ives, Downes, Pearce, Ajala, Young (Capt), Richard, Chapell (Yeoman 63), Briscoe (MacDonald 43) , Bowman (Ofori-Acheampong 48)

Subs Not Used: Seabright, McQuilkin

Bookings: Rice,

Sent Off: Downes

Barnet: Stack, Yiadom, Johnson, Saville, N’Gala, Cook (Hunt 58), Weston, Togwell, Vilhete, MacDonald (Capt) (Stephens 33), Akinde

Subs Not Used: Gambin, Nurse, Mensah


Sent Off: N’Gala

Attendance: 1,933 (115 Away)

Referee: Brett Huxtable

Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon