Torquay United 0 v 1 Wrexham

torquay united gulls sport south devon

Torquay United 0 v 1 Wrexham

Torquay United’s poor home form continued last Saturday afternoon when Wrexham came away from the Launa Windows Stadium with all three points following a 78th minute winning goal from Mark Carrington, writes SSD’s Matt Green.

With the blustery conditions playing a major factor in the game, both sides struggled to get any real hold of the ball and chances were at a premium.

Manager Kevin Nicholson kept faith with the 11 players that earned a hard fought point away at Braintree last weekend. That meant only a place on the bench for returning forward Tyrone Marsh following his three-match suspension.

United had the best of the encounter in the conditions but, as with many games this season, could not finish off the chances they created.

Rob Evans had the visitors’ first attempt in the 9th minute from 25 yards which tested Lavercombe in the United goal, but the keeper was well equipped to handle his right footed effort.

Courtney Richards then tried his luck from 20 yards on 13 minutes but his effort went high over the bar.

Kevin Nicholson then floated a free kick in from the right-hand side which found the head of Aman Verma, but again the United man’s header went over the bar.

Verma then let fly with his left foot, from the edge of the area, after a poor clearance by the visitors’ left-back Newton on 28 minutes; this time the ‘keeper was made to work and saved well low to his right.

Torquay’s best chance to take the lead, in the first half, fell to Andre Wright on the half hour but his downward header lacked power and accuracy as it bounced wide of the visitors’ goal, after a good dead ball delivery from the right by Dan Butler.

Blaine Hudson, for the visitors, and Nicholson, for the home side, both tried late on to get the opening goal from distance but both efforts went high over the respective targets.

Wrexham almost went into the break one up when, in the second minute of added time, Wes York slid in to connect with a cross from the left but, yet again, as with every other effort in the first half, the ball missed the target and went out for a goal-kick.

The second half started well for the Gulls with Nicholson’s side playing some good football on the floor attacking into the strong wind.

First, a looping header from Richards had the visitors’ ‘keeper in trouble before his defenders cleared their lines and then Butler hit a great effort in the 53rd minute from the left angle of the box, the shot just missing the target.

Wrexham’s Evans then hit a right-footed strike from outside the box just after the hour mark but again there was little trouble for the United ‘keeper as the attempt went wide.

However, Carrington broke the deadlock in the 78th minute. United’s Berry could only manage to flick the ball on at the near post, from the visitors’ corner, and the ball found its way to the back post where Carrington forced it over the line.

Nicholson then decided to bring Marsh on with eight minutes to go and then, with two minutes left, Louis Briscoe was introduced, the latter almost creating the equaliser when he fired hard across the goal from a corner; but Nathan Smith could not turn the effort into the net from close range.

At the final whistle the disappointment was clear to see on all the United players’ faces. They had given everything during the game but again came away with nothing.

United’s next fixture see’s them in FA Trophy action, on Sunday 13th December, at home to Chesham United, before returning to the league campaign away at Chester.


Torquay United: Lavercombe, Berry, MacDonald (Capt), Smith, Nicholson, Murombedzi (Marsh 82), Richards, Hislop (Briscoe 88), Butler, Verma, Wright.

Subs Not Used: Spiess, Carmichael, Gerring.

Bookings: None.

Attendance: 1,512 (96 away).

Referee: Mr R Martin.


Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon