Teigns & Greens Only SD Sides to Survive Cup Carnage – Full SWPL Round-up

south west peninsula league fixtures 201516 sport south devon

Teigns & Greens Only SD Sides to Survive Cup Carnage – Full SWPL Round-up

Walter C Parson League Cup, First Round:

Abbott Brace Helps Holsworthy See Off Stoke

by Tom Besford

An eager Holsworthy side, who currently sit 14th in the league below Stoke, arrived at the GJ Churchward Memorial Ground TWO hours before kick off against a Premier League team who haven’t had a great start to the season.

And it was the West Division visitors who opened the scoring early on in the match when a deflected Dom Abbott shot found its way past Nathan Murphy in the Stoke goal at the near post. Holsworthy doubled their lead just before the break when some poor defending let Abbott through on goal to send a curling effort past Murphy for his second of the game.

Stoke came out in the second half needing an early goal for a chance back into this game but though they had most of the play, the Holsworthy bus wouldn’t give the Stoke forwards the keys. The hosts did find the back of the net midway through the second half in what would have been a legal goal in the 1950s, but not in the current age as Steve Bowker bundled the ‘keeper and the ball into the back of the net. The Railwaymen found a goal a minute into injury time when Sam Dicken struck a free kick into the bottom corner but it proved to be too little too late as Holworthy held on for a trip to Liskeard in the second round.

FT (Sat): Stoke Gabriel 1 – 2 Holsworthy

FT (Tue): Elburton Villa 4 – 2 Stoke Gabriel

Baxter and Chapman Double Act Sees Teigns Wade into Second Round

by Martin Jones

Teignmouth’s Cornish visitors took the lead when O’Hagan swept home a right wing cross. Despite Teigns’ best efforts they didn’t conjure up an equaliser until the 31st minute. Scott Baxter’s raking 40 yard diagonal ball was controlled by Sam Chapman who then beat the visiting ‘keeper with a deft lob. Four minutes later Teigns were in front; Hayden Roe volleyed home Steve Shrubb’s pull back from eight yards. Then, in first half stoppage time, Ryan Bush reacted quickly to latch on to the loose ball after captain Ian Wilkinson’s free kick had been charged down; Bush made no mistake finding the far corner of the Wadebridge goal with an accurate shot.

Three minutes into the second half, Wadebridge were back in the game. Gerkin was allowed a free header from a corner and he made no mistake, beating home ‘keeper Aaron Ibbetson from six yards. Teigns regained their two goal cushion in the 52nd minute, Baxter again sending Chapman through on goal with another 40 yard pin-point ping, Chapman’s calm finish sliding the ball under the advancing ’keeper to make the score 4-2 to Teigns. On 70 minutes, Wadebridge were reduced to ten men when one of their forwards received a second yellow card for persistent fouling; ten minutes later, sub Adam Fay finished off the scoring by slotting home Isaac Reed’s cross.

This Saturday, Teigns are back in league action when Appledore visit Coombe Valley. Kick off: 3.00pm

FT: Teignmouth 5 – 2 Wadebridge

Spurs Take Positives after Cruel Cup Exit 

by Newton Abbot Spurs FC

Newton Abbot Spurs produced their finest display of the season in the first round of the Walter C Parson Cup but ultimately fell to defeat in the cruelest way.

A depleted Spurs side travelled to Langsford Park just weeks after a 4-1 defeat at the same venue. Adam Dyson made his first start since his return to the club while Joe Andrews partnered Charlie Robinson at centre back and Ben Jones made his first start for Newton Spurs First Team.

Spurs started very brightly and dominated the opening half hour of the game. Their first chance came after four minutes, Dyson slicing his volley wide after being teed up by Matt Williams. Home keeper Martin Piper was called into action on thirteen minutes as he kept out Carl Bradleys effort with his legs. Spurs were rewarded for their dominant spell with a goal on twenty four minutes and it was the returning Dyson who finished with aplomb over Piper after Jones had won the ball for Spurs in the middle of the park. Spurs almost conceded a minute later but captain Andrews was in the right place to block a close range goal bound effort from Ian Rooke. Dyson was then thwarted by Piper when one-on-one as Spurs threatened to double their advantage. With half an hour gone, no one in the ground could foresee the turnaround that occurred before half time. Tavvy levelled on thirty two minutes through Lewis Edwards twenty yard drive before taking the lead just three minutes later, Jarryd Kelly taking full advantage of a hesitant Spurs backline to turn the game on its head. Tavvy hitman Kelvin Fyneboy rattled the bar with a close range header two minutes before the break before Ian Rooke headed in Harry Southcotts cross a minute into injury time, a goal that many would have seen as the goal to seal the game.

Spurs started the second half as they started the first – on the front foot – and should have been level five minutes after the break but Carl Bradley could only shoot straight at Piper when one-on-one with the home sides shot stopper. Piper was again called into action five minutes later through Jake Elms before Bradley brought Spurs to within one goal of the hosts, superbly executing a twenty yard free kick over the wall and into the bottom left hand corner of Tavvys net to give Spurs a lifeline with twenty five minutes to go. Matt Williams saw an angled drive punched away three minutes after Bradleys goal as the away side sensed an equaliser. Fyneboy almost sealed the game for the Lambs on eighty six minutes but saw another headed effort come back off of Shaun Hootons bar, Lewis Daw unable to scramble home the rebound. Spurs took the game to extra time with an equaliser in the eighth minute of injury time. As Spurs piled numbers forward, Joe Andrews cross from the left wing found player manager Dyson flicking a header over the advancing Piper to give Spurs a third goal their play warranted.

Extra Time was defunct of goalmouth action, going very much against the grain of the ninety minutes that preceeded it. Shaun Hooton made a point blank save at the end of the first period as he somehow kept out Jordan Williams effort from yards out. Spurs were reduced to ten men at the start of the final fifteen minutes as Tom Sercombe was sent off for stamping after an incident that could be described as handbags. Despite plenty of possession, Tavistock couldn’t break down a resistant Spurs side as the game went to the dreaded penalty shoot out.

Tavistock won the toss and chose to take the first penalty in the shoot out – the sequence listed below.

Tavistock Newton Spurs

Chris Maskell Scored 1-0 Joe Andrews Missed 1-0

Josh Robins Scored 2-0 Ben Jones Scored 2-1

Harry Southcott Scored 3-1 Carl Bradley Scored 3-2

Lewis Edwards Missed 3-2 Jake Elms Missed 3-2

Ollie Archer Missed 3-2 Adam Dyson Scored 3-3

Dave Hallett Scored 4-3 Mark Brooke Missed 4-3

A cruel end for Spurs in what was an excellent performance. Manager Adam Dyson will take a lot of heart from the performance as they now look to climb the league, starting next Saturday against Brixham AFC

FT: Newton Abbot Spurs 1 – 1 Exwick Villa

[box] More detailed reports and team info to come from the other South Devon Peninsula sides, but in the meantime, here is the round-up adapted from the League website at www.swpleague.co.uk [/box]

A massive 19 First Round ties were played this afternoon as the last 32 of the Cup was resolved. Appledore won 3-1 away at Bovey Tracey but half a dozen Premier sides did win through with some making short work of their ties. St Blazey led the way with a 6-0 win at East side Liverton United. Two sides won on their travels to South Devon with Elburton Villa beating Brixham AFC 4-2 at Wall Park and Callington Town winning 3-0 at Totnes & Dartington. Galmpton United beat Dobwalls 3-1.

On Tuesday 16th September, league leaders Ivybridge Town made it 8 wins from 8 with a 3-0 home victory over bottom side Bovey Tracey while Elburton Villa had a second win in 4 days with a 4-2 home win over Stoke Gabriel.

Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon