Teignmouth Smash Liverton for Seven to Top Table – Full SWPL Round-up

teignmouth sport south devon

Teignmouth Smash Liverton for Seven to Top Table – Full SWPL Round-up

Division One East:

Seventh Heaven for Table-Topping Teigns

by Martin Jones

Teigns moved two points clear at the top of the table after this comprehensive win. Sam Chapman opened the scoring in the 16th minute cutting in from the right and beating two defenders before drilling the ball past visiting ‘keeper Kinsman from 20 yards. Ryan Bush doubled the lead in the 28th minute, capitalising on some dreadful defending to slot the ball into an empty net. Six minutes later, Kinsman made two good reaction saves from Craig Stonelake before Stonelake squared the ball to Hayden Roe who scored the third from close range. Liverton had the ball in Teigns’ net in the 43rd minute but the ‘goal’ was disallowed for an infringement on the edge of Teigns’ penalty area. Incensed by the ref’s decision, one Liverton player received a red card for protesting too much. Teigns made their numerical advantage count immediately when Chapman’s pass set Matt Eves up to break through the visiting defence and calmly lift the ball over an advancing Kinsman for the fourth goal.

Liverton’s ten men worked hard at the start of the second half and held out until the 57th  minute when a fine individual effort from Bush put Teigns five up. Roe’s bullet header from Eves’ cross made it 6-0 in the 78th minute and Chapman volleyed home Bush’s cross in the 89th minute to end the scoring.

Sam Chapman scored a hat trick and goals from  Hayden Roe and Lloyd Gardner saw Teigns enjoy a comfortable win last Wednesday evening.

FT (Sat): Teignmouth 7 – 0 Liverton United

FT (Wed): Totnes & Dartington 1 – 5 Teignmouth

Nine man Spurs Fall to Favourites

by Newton Abbot Spurs FC

Spurs started Friday’s game with a 4-5-1 formation with the experienced Tom Sercombe leading the front line. There were recalls for Tom Dare, Joe Long and Lee Breslan from Tuesday night’s victory against Plymstock.

Spurs started very much on the back foot, a trait that would continue throughout the 90 minutes. Despite this, Spurs limited their hosts to very few chances in the first half. Tavistock’s Kelvin Fyneboy – who would prove to be a tricky customer for the Spurs back line – had Tavvy’s first effort after six minutes, but after beating three players, he saw his 20 yard strike fizz wide. The home side’s next real effort came just after the half hour mark: Dave Hallett’s corner was only parried away by Spurs No.1 James Aggett as far as Jarryd Kelly and his powerful effort was headed off the line by Nick Hayman. The home side were to take the lead three minutes before the interval, and it was the pacey Fyneboy who provided the goal. A long punt upfield was seized upon by Tavvy’s No. 9 and he beat two players before rounding James Aggett and slotting into an empty net. 

The second half followed the same pattern as the first half with the home side creating the clearer chances. Fyneboy fired wide of Aggett’s goal on 52 minutes, after a Carlton Farnham pass had released him, before missing the easiest chance of the night on 62 minutes. After beating three defenders and easing around Aggett, Fyneboy could only find the base of the post despite the goal gaping and one of his team mates better placed to finish the move. It wasn’t long before Tavistock increased their lead and it was a goal worthy of winning any game, Jarryd Kelly firing into the top corner from fully 25 yards leaving Aggett no chance. Spurs almost hit back immediately but Tom Dare sliced his effort wide when well placed after Sercombe’s knockdown. The away side were dealt a blow on 73 minutes when Breslan was sent off for a second yellow card after a strong tackle on Tavvy’s Harry Southcott. Two minutes later, Tavvy substitute Luke Doddridge received his marching orders for raising his hands after a tussle with Spurs’ Jake Chisholm. Spurs were handed a route back into the game through Tom Sercombe – who headed home Joe Andrews’ head across goal following good work from Carl Bradley with just nine minutes on the clock. Spurs’ joy was to be short lived as just a minute later, Farnham converted a penalty to seal the game for the Lambs. Fyneboy took his tally to two for the evening on 85 minutes after finishing off Farnham’s pull back before Spurs’ Chris Metters was controversially sent off. As he was being substituted, the referee decided to issue Metters a second yellow card for leaving the field of play without permission, much to the amazement of everyone present.

The final scoreline was somewhat harsh on Spurs after a valiant display against their unbeaten hosts. Spurs must now prepare for another of the league’s top sides in Galmpton United, who they host on Tuesday night at the Rec (6.30pm kick off).

FT: Tavistock 4 – 1 Newton Abbot Spurs

[box] More detailed reports and team info to come from the other South Devon Peninsula sides, but in the meantime, here is the round-up adapted from the League website at www.swpleague.co.uk [/box]

Galmpton United, who had been top, dropped their first points, as they were held to a 1-1 draw at home by the University of Exeter. Brixham AFC were held to a 2-2 draw by Alphington at Wall Park.

Premier Division:

Ivybridge Town are the new leaders of the table after they made it four straight wins with a 3-0 home victory over Newquay. The big talking point on Friday was about a game that didn’t take place, Bovey Tracey informing the league that they could not raise a side for the trip to St Austell which means that under league rules the match is awarded to the lilly-whites whilst Bovey go to the bottom of the table with a points deduction. On the pitch Saltash United moved onto 3 wins from 3 league outings with a 2-1 Friday night home win over divisional new boys Stoke Gabriel.

Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon