Roselands kill off Giantkillers in Extra-Time

ashburton roselands sdfl herald cup 2014 sport south devon

Roselands kill off Giantkillers in Extra-Time

All photos available from SDFL photographer Ali MacPhee at

The Herald Cup giantkilling run is over for Division Two side Ashburton. Two Premier sides had been humbled in the first two rounds, but it was Division Three leaders Roselands who found an extra-time winner to move into the quarter-finals for the first time in their history.
It was an early goal by Jamie Chamberlain who put the home side one up in an entertaining match with plenty of good football played. After going behind, Ashburton knocked loudly on the door for the next 15 minutes, but a valiant rearguard action from Roselands, particularly from Andrew Cousins, and some narrow Ashburton misses from range, ensured the home side still held the advantage at the break. The goalkeepers were kept busy for the remainder of the half, Roselands’ Luke Pillar saving well at the foot of his far post on 19 minutes and five minutes later relieved to see a shot go wide after great play involving Ashburton lead scorer Damien Furnivall.

Ashburton roselands sdfl herald cup 2014 sport south devon
Ashburton come away with the ball. Photo (c)

Whether it was a through ball with a tad too much pace or a shot dipping just over Pillar’s crossbar, Ashburton couldn’t quite make their chances count and when things looked promising, the chance would be whipped away by superb tackling, Chamberlain even getting in on the act with a crucial interception on Alex Boon near the right-hand touchline. It was the same situation down the left, Tom Dunlop winning his battle with Ash Johnson as the visitors continued to press. With five minutes to go, Pillar narrowly beat an onrushing Furnivall to the ball before Lee Davis made a fine stop to deny Chamberlain’s drive from a corner.

Roselands started the second half brightly, Gary Aldous forcing an early save from Davis and Adam Stanbridge defending well as the red tide surged forward. Ashburton headed narrowly over in the 53rd minute before first Chamberlain and then midfielder Sam Massey set up Markel Aldame, whose first shot was blocked and his second kicked away by Davis. Chamberlain then had another chance to grab a second, but his shot missed Davis’s right-hand upright by inches. But as so often happens, it was the visitors who struck next, in the 70th minute, when the Roselands defence failed to clear away a cross only for the ball to sneak through to winger Callum Winter to poke it past Pillar.

roselands ashburton sdfl sport south devon herald cup 2014

Plenty of entertainment on show. Photo (c)

After the goal, Lee Davis continued to hold Roselands’ attackers at bay as the home side started finding space and making inroads down the left hand side. Ashburton had chances of their own, but Furnivall’s slip meant they couldn’t capitalise on good work by Dan Uglow down the right-hand side. Then it was Davis who slipped – following a goal kick – and it looked for a while as if he might not last the last ten minutes of the half. But fortunately, apart from delegating goal kicks to his colleagues, Davis continued to play his vital role, and his saves from Conor Smith (from a corner), Chamberlain and Massey ensured Ashburton remained on terms. Some heroic blues defending against a late onslaught from Chamberlain, Aldous and Massey meant the game went into extra time.

ashburton roselands sdfl sport south devon herald cup 2014

Ashburton narrowly lose out after extra-time. Photo (c)

In the final thirty, Roselands began to control the game with Ashburton relying on counter-attacks. But with Davis in fine form, it was going to take something special to beat him. This came in the 115th minute when Chamberlain played a one-two with substitute Liam Walton who burst through from midfield to smash a low shot into the bottom right corner from 25 yards and grab victory for the Reds. It was the first time Roselands had made the quarter finals and as the winners wait for friday night’s draw to find out who they will meet in the last eight, Ashburton have to pick themselves up to host Amory Park Rangers in the last 16 of the Firewatch Devon Senior Cup.


SSD Man of the Match: Jamie Chamberlain (Roselands)


As for the rest of the Herald Cup action, results went largely to form, although some ties were closer than might have been expected. A case in point was at Poole Lane, where East Allington United were restricted to just the one Si Hannaford goal by Newton Abbot 66; although that strike was enough to put the Pirates through. Division Two side Harbertonford fought bravely at the Hams but were edged out 2-1 by Waldon Athletic and it was a similar story at the Cellars where Beesands Rovers defeated neighbours Dittisham United by the same scoreline, Lee Morgan and Danny Tucker with the goals. The lads of Brixham Town can also hold their heads high after a respectable 3-1 defeat at home to Upton Athletic. Holders Watcombe Wanderers successfully overcame Kingsteignton Athletic 5-2 at Broadpark; Curtis Booth found the net twice and was joined on the score-sheet by fellow striker Sean Finch and midfielders Mike Fieldhouse and Danny Harvey.
Last year’s runners-up Buckland Athletic Reserves eased into the last eight with a 9-0 home victory over Totnes & Dartington Reserves. Polonia Torbay are now the lowest ranked side left in the competition after a 4-2 win over fellow Division Four side Liverton United at Armada Park. The match started badly for the home side, Polonia losing a man and a goal to a first half penalty. Determined to fight back in the second period, Polonia were awarded a penalty of their own, Marcel Reczek winning and converting a penalty to equalise. A brace by Sebastian Pamula, the second a lovely strike, and a further goal from substitute Bartosz Orszulak ended Liverton’s chances, despite a second goal for the Lillies.

In the league, Dartmouth AFC slammed eight past Loddiswell Athletic to go top of the Premier, Karl Baker netting five and Dan Broadway with a hat-trick. Stoke Gabriel Reserves moved up to third with a 2-0 triumph at Ivybridge Town. Bovey Tracey Reserves finally enjoyed victory, winning 3-1 at Watts, Blake & Bearne to move them within three points of their hosts. Newton Abbot Spurs ran riot at the Rec with a 9-1 hammering over a Kingskerswell & Chelston side who have now shipped twenty in their last two matches. Andy Eden claimed a hat-trick and Adam Richards and Tom Barrett doubles for Spurs, with Nick Edmunds and Russell Brooker rounding off the scoring.

Buckland Athletic Thirds are one match away from a fifth Fred Hewings Cup final place in the last six years. The holders pulled rank on Division Five’s Buckland & Milber Reserves with a 6-0 victory at Abbots Park. Also into the semi-finals are Division Three’s Dartmouth AFC Reserves who edged Ashburton Reserves, from Division Five, 2-1 away. 2012 winners Stoke Gabriel Thirds struck twice in extra-time to win 4-2 against 2010 winners Kingskerswell & Chelston Reserves; Chatfield hit a double for the Railwaymen with Horn and Bridgeman also on target.

In Division One, Paignton Villa extended their unbeaten start, scoring five without reply at Babbacombe Corinthians to move to within two points of leaders Beesands. Broadhempston United move to within striking distance after a tight 4-3 home win over Teignmouth Reserves. The visitors travelled light to this game but it galvanised the 12 that made the trip. A first start for Beeks began well when his pinpoint through-ball set Bowen up to put Teigns ahead. Broads came back strong and went 2-1 ahead; Bowen, Leyman and star man Alan Stuckey all had chances to level but Teigns found themselves 3-1 down at the break. They came out fighting in the second half and goals from Leyman and Bowen drew them level, but Broads got lucky and took their chance well to nudge in front again. Manager Nick Maynard was disappointed not to have got a point from the game but there were many positives from his side to take to their next game. Brixham AFC Reserves destroyed Buckfastleigh Rangers 8-0; Rangers now prop up the table after an improving Ipplepen Athletic finally achieved their first win in a 5-4 thriller at Chudleigh Athletic.

In Division Two, Buckland & Milber move three points clear with a 5-2 home win over Abbotskerswell, Abbots with two losses on the bounce. Josh Moore added another two strikes with Elliott Simson (2) and Shaun Waldron also contributing. Unbeaten Foxhole United move back into the top three with a 3-1 home victory over South Brent. Waldon Athletic Reserves ended Brixham AFC Thirds’ purple patch in spectacular fashion, sinking nine without response at Windmill Hill to move above the Fishermen. Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves halted their slide with a decent draw at Newton United, Chris Harper once again the scorer for United. Paignton Saints were awarded an away walkover against Totnes & Dartington Thirds.

In Division Three, Watcombe Wanderers Reserves went level on points with leaders Roselands, with a game in hand, after smashing East Allington United Reserves 7-0. Club leading scorer Liam Strong bagged five with Cieran Bridger and Johnathon Carter also on targer. Salcombe Town collected another point in a productive November, sharing eight goals with Chudleigh Athletic Reserves. Upton Athletic Reserves thrashed Teign Village 7-1 to move closer to the business end of the table. A goal for Waldon Athletic Thirds was enough to secure them a first win of the season, against in-form Harbertonford Reserves. Ipplepen Athletic Reserves’ quest for a point goes on, Bishopsteignton United this week’s victors with a 3-1 win at Moor Road.

In Division Four, Jon Parsons, Adam Slater and Steve Colville scored the goals while stand-in goalkeeper Chris Edmondson made important saves as AFC Staverton beat Roselands Reserves 3-2 to maintain their cushion. Riviera United lifted themselves back to second with a fine 4-1 triumph over Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves, Chapman finding the net for Corries. Preston South End enjoyed back-to-back wins as they defeated Paignton Villa Reserves 4-1, while Torbay Police ended a fine November with another three points, beating Ilsington Villa 2-1. Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves, unbeaten in the league since September, won 2-1 at home to Meadowbrook Athletic, Ryan Porter with both Rangers goals; James Howrihane with Athletic’s. Broadhempston United Reserves’ 1-0 win at Newton United Reserves ended a four match losing run while condemning their hosts to a fourth loss in a row. Newton Abbot 66 Reserves also brought a four match losing streak to an end with a 2-2 home draw in the derby with Newton Rovers.

In Division Five, leaders Watcombe Wanderers Third narrowly beat Stoke Fleming & Strete 2-1 through Luke Rhodes and Harvey Hickman. The defeat leaves Stoke back at the bottom of the pile after Paignton Saints Reserves pulled off a second successive win, 1-0 at home to Torquay Town. Barton Athletic and Broadmeadow, second and third, kept the pack at bay with identical 4-1 wins. Athletic defeated Kingsbridge & Kellaton courtesy of Czesiek Solecki, Kriss Darke, Anthony Jones and Mark Lucas, while Broadmeadow saw off Malborough United at Coach Road on Friday evening. A Rui de Garces brace was not enough to prevent Moretonhampstead slipping to successive defeats, Newton Rovers Reserves enjoying a 4-2 win on their patch.

Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon