Late Header Sinks Gulls

torquay united gulls sport south devon

Late Header Sinks Gulls

A 90th minute far post header from Ismail Yakubu condemned Paul Cox’s Torquay United side to defeat at home to Woking, in the Vanarama National League on Tuesday night, however the talking points all surrounded the match officials after the game.

With Referee Mr Huxtable already not endearing himself to the home crowed and Torquay management with some confusing decisions in the first half, the events that transpired in the 68th minute condemned his performance to all inside the Launa Windows Stadium, with the exception of the 114 traveling fans.

Manager Paul Cox had decided to withdraw Briscoe from the action but confusion rained when the 4th officials board indicated number 17 (Fisher) to leave the pitch rather than number 7 (Briscoe).

After the game the united manager said ‘The 4th official told us that the paperwork given said 17 but it said 7″.  “The way in which Kenny writes his 7’s was interpreted as 17”.

Cox himself stopped Fisher on the touch line, realising that the decision was incorrect and sent the player back on and withdrew Briscoe for new signing Simon Heslop (No.26), who was already on the pitch at this stage.

However Mr Huxtable and the 4th official ruled that the original substitution must be upheld and told Fisher to leave the field of play and for Briscoe to return.

“All the referee needed to do was show common sense, which is sometime hard for them, the whole thing erupted” added Cox.

My argument with the 4th official was, what ever the scenario, if he had made an honest mistake, just use common sense and rectify it but instead of that, he dug his heels in and stated that the substitution had been made”.

On the pitch, the game started with chances for both sides. First, Briscoe had a right footed effort from the edge of the area that went close, after Woking failed to clear a long throw from Geohaghon inside 30 seconds. Then the visitors went straight down the other end with Holman firing just over the bar from close range.

United created a number of chances in the first 45 minutes with Richards trying his luck from 40 yards on 17 minutes and Fisher having a shot saved after being played in by Carmichael.


The Gulls also felt hard done by from the referee when Fisher was clearly pulled back in the penalty area by Saah but the man in the middle waved away the protests.

Woking produced some strong play themselves in the first half and had chances from Saah and a scuffed effort from Sole r from 12 yards 26mins as United failed to clear their lines from the earlier freekick


8 volley from the edge of the box central right footed just over the bar 36 mins

HT 0-0

8 right foot curling effort nice height for Spiess 47 minutes

Strong start in the second half by the visitors

8 half chance straight at Spiess

Fisher set up a volly for himself after flicking the ball past Yakubu but sliced the effort into the away end 59

Heslop coming for to make his debut for the Gulls in the Fisher 68 minute

Confusion on the substitution and Cox sent off

Jones strong run passed exodus powerful effort

United now travel to Grimsby on Saturday before their next home fixture against Cheltenham on Saturday 29th August.

TUFC: Spiess, Smith, MacDonald, Geohaghon (Capt), Butler, Richards, Hurst, Briscoe (Marsh 78), Carmichael, Fisher (Heslop 68), Quigley

Subs Not Used: J Richards, Murombedzi, Lavelle-Moore,


Woking: Cole, Caprice, Saah, Murtagh, Arthur, Jones, Ricketts, Yakubu, Sole (Daniel 56), Goddard, Holman

Subs Not Used: Poku, Andrade, Newton, Hamann


Attendance: 1,936 (114 Away)

Referee: Brett Huxtable

Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon