Buckland Lose Unbeaten Streak but Bounce Back at Home

Buckland Athletic crest

Buckland Lose Unbeaten Streak but Bounce Back at Home

Buckland’s impressive run of ten straight league wins (12 games unbeaten) came to an end on 11th March as the Yellows lost out 3-1 at mid-table Brislington. A late equaliser for lowly Bitton the following Tuesday was also a blow to Buckland’s promotion hopes but it was home, sweet home again on the 18th as Bucks edged Chipping Sodbury 3-2 at Homers Heath.


Buckland played well in the opening 30 minutes but their Bristolian hosts carved out the better chances and Neikell Plummer finally opened the scoring on 32 minutes to give Brislington the half-time advantage. They maintained the slender lead until five minutes from time when loan signing Craig Duff made it two goals in two games with an 85th minute leveller. Alexander Lambert had other ideas though, his goal sealing the points on the stroke of full-time. Five minutes into stoppage time and all doubts were erased as James Batchelor added gloss to the scoreline with a third home goal.


It was back on the road the following Tuesday while Homers Heath was given over to Tranmere Rovers as they prepared for their evening game with Torquay United. After an even first 20 minutes, Matt Hurley forced Grant Fisher into a good stop with a 22nd minute drive after the home side had stolen possession in Bucks’ half. David O’Hare then thought he had put Street one up, on 28 minutes, but the effort was ruled out for a handball. There was even less in the way of chances in the early part of the second half but Buckland sprung into action with around 20 minutes remaining, Craig Duff and Jared Lewington scoring in quick succession. O’Hare hit back immediately though for Street with a close-range finish. Buckland thought they had held on for the win only to concede deep into stoppage time, Ben Amghar finding the top corner  after a free-kick to rescue a point.


It was back to Homers Heath for a Chipping Sodbury side who had been knocked out of the league cup there three week’s earlier. Just as in that game, Buckland had to wait less than ten minutes before opening the goalscoring, Charlie Johansen following up Si Revell’s shot to put the Yellows in front after just 9 minutes. Both sides created good chances before half-time and Grant Fisher was called into action more than once to ensure the home side went into the break ahead. That lead was snuffed out just after the hour mark, Chipping Sodbury’s Guest fouled in the box and White putting away the spot kick. Three minutes later, White turned provider, crossing for substitute Simms to put the visitors 2-1 up moments after coming on. Jared Lewington restored parity ten minutes later, latching on to a high ball and battling through the defence before hitting his shot into the corner. Buckland were awarded a penalty of their own with seven minutes left but Revell’s effort was saved by Griffiths and it looked as though the game may be destined for a draw. Three minutes later though, some neat build up play by Buckland was finished off by Lewington to inch Buckland in front. Yet Chipping Sodbury were inches from an immediate equaliser, Dowdell crashing the bar from distance. Buckland held on for the three points though and are now 14 points behind leaders Bristol Manor Farm with two games in hand. Buckland travel to Manor Farm on Saturday to try and close that gap.

Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon