Ashes at it Again in Herald Cup (Local Football Round-Up Part 2/2)

ashburton roselands sdfl sport south devon herald cup 2014

Ashes at it Again in Herald Cup (Local Football Round-Up Part 2/2)

Image: Ashburton in action last season (c)

Ashburton have a habit of causing upsets in the Herald Cup, and the First Division side were at it again last Saturday with a 3-0 home victory over Premier side Ivybridge Town in the First Round. Last season, the Ashes knocked out Bovey Tracey Reserves and Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves, both in the Premier League, before bowing out to Roselands in the Third Round.

Teign Village came closest to a real shock though, the Division Three minnows travelling to Premier side Waldon Athletic and taking them to extra-time before finally going out to the Clarets 5-3. AFC Staverton will also be celebrating after an extra-time winner sent the Division Three outfit through at the expense of Division One’s Ipplepen Athletic.

We already know there will be no repeat of last season’s final as runners-up Beesands Rovers from Division One were eliminated 3-1 at home by Premier side Dartmouth AFC, Josh Webber with a double for the visitors, Mark Forrester with a penalty and Lee Morgan with the Bees’ strike. Kingskerswell & Chelston successfully navigated a potential banana skin at Liverton United Reserves with three goals against the only side yet to concede in the league, while Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves brushed aside Torquay Town 7-1 at Barton Downs. Kingsteignton Athletic are out of the competition, deposed 1-0 at home by fellow top flight side Loddiswell Athletic. East Allington United join their neighbours in the next round, Tom Rowdon (2) and Tom Harvey netting in a 3-1 victory at struggling Division Two outfit Bishopsteignton United. Under-strength Bishops played most of the match with ten men due to an injury.

Two Division One title contenders were drawn together at Belfield with one goal enough for Foxhole United who eliminated Chudleigh Athletic. Cory Brennan’s brace saw Buckland & Milber make it through 2-1 against their Division Four opponents Riviera United, but fellow Division One side Babbacombe Corinthians had a more convincing win over Division Five’s Stoke Fleming & Strete, 6-1 the result from Barton Downs with Casey Roberts and Callum Crews finding the net twice each and Dan Lawton and Josh Haycox on target.

An exciting climax at Palstone Park saw Newton United defeat South Brent 3-2 on penalties after a 2-2 draw in the all-Division Two tie (1-1 at full-time). Abbotskerswell, also from Division Two, made it through to the Second Round with a 4-2 home win over the Torbay Police who play in Division Three, and Brixham Town will also represent the third tier following a 6-2 home triumph over Division Five high-fliers Broadhempston United Reserves. A Mark Vale strike proved the difference between Division Four side Meadowbrook Athletic and Watts, Blake & Bearne FC from Division Five, Athletic continuing their brilliant start with another win. An all-Division Four face-off between Barton Athletic and Islington Villa went Athletic’s way as they won 2-1 courtesy of strikes from Fleet and Lucas.

In the Fred Hewings Cup, holders Buckland Athletic Reserves cruised through to Round Two with a predictable 5-1 triumph over Barton Athletic Reserves, Lea Alvey with Athletic’s consolation effort. Runners-up East Allington United Reserves were also pitted against Division Five opponents, a Kriss Attiwell double seeing the Pirates through 2-1 against Buckland & Milber Reserves who scored through Zak Winsor. Elsewhere, there were surprise successes for three bottom tier sides. Top of the shocks was Division Five’s Paignton Saints Reserves’ shoot-out win against Kingskerswell & Chelston Reserves of Division One. Things started well for Saints who opened the scoring after three minutes , Ian Simons sending over a good cross for Luke Johnson to convert from five yards out. Their second goal came early in the second half, Aaron Underhill’s corner put into the corner of the goal by a ‘Kerswell defender. The visitors pulled one back, following up after Dave Pearson’s save, and levelled inside the last ten minutes after the home defence failed to deal with a cross. Saints nevertheless restored their lead through Matt Reed, but the visitors levelled again and almost nicked it but found Pearson in no mood to concede a fourth. Pearson also saved a spot-kick as Saints won the shoot-out 6-5.  Division Five side Newton United Reserves followed up their first league win with a decent win away to Paignton Villa Reserves from the division above, Guttridge, Swanny, Soper and Bunday on target, and Moretonhampstead also did well at Wadley Brook as they entertained Newton Rovers from a level above; Moreton went behind early on before levelling through Blackboro’s super free-kick. Moreton finally took the lead just before half-time, with defender Bond’s fine ball to Stuckey flicked on to Clark who scored his 12th goal of the campaign. Goalkeeper McVeigh played his part by saving a penalty, but Rovers equalised early on after the break and retook the lead until an unlucky own goal brought extra time. Another early goal saw Rovers in front for a third time, but Moreton levelled again to make it 4-4. With penalties looming, Blackboro’s long-ball up to Fox caused mayhem in the box, ‘keeper and defender colliding to leave Fox with a gaping net. His winning goal was the final action and Moreton were through.

Chatfield and Blackler saw Division One side Stoke Gabriel Thirds through against Division Three’s Chudleigh Athletic Reserves but three other Division Three sides just about did enough to overcome Division Four opponents: Ipplepen Athletic Reserves knocked out Ashburton Reserves, one goal enough for the Pens; Harbertonford Reserves won 6-3 at Newton Abbot ’66 Reserves and Dartmouth AFC Reserves found an extra-time winner after drawing 3-3 at Roselands Reserves; Berry scored twice and Kirby and Kenny netted for Darts. Division Three sides Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves and Upton Athletic Reserves reached extra-time with two goals apiece before Rangers took over with another five to run out 7-2 victors.


Watcombe Wanderers increase their lead in the Premier Division after winning 4-1 at home to Brixham AFC Reserves; Shaun Hadley opened his account for the Greens and there were goals for Sean Finch (2) and Ashley Dewdney. Stoke Gabriel Reserves achieved their first win with a 2-1 home success  against Upton Athletic; Murphy and Bowker scored for the Railwaymen with Micklewright netting for Upton.

Newton Abbot ’66 move up to second in Division One after a comfortable 4-0 result at Paignton Villa in the division’s only league contest.

Rui de Garces sank four away at Harbertonford as Watcombe Wanderers Reserves moved to the top of Division Two; Liam Strong also scored in a 5-3 goalfest. Waldon Athletic Reserves slipped to another home defeat as Roselands won 3-1 at Windmill Hill to maintain their 100 per cent start.

Watcombe Wanderers Thirds climbed to the top of Division Four with a 3-1 home win over Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves in one of only two matches in the division; Sam Pyne, Luke Barton and Kal Kurup found the net for the hosts and Dan Garswood scored for Corries. In the other game, there was more joy for unbeaten Broadmeadow in their long road trip out west, Glyn Ballman’s side winning 6-2 against pointless hosts Kingsbridge & Kellaton United.

In Division Five, Torbay Police Reserves hammered Chudleigh Athletic Reserves 9-0 away to maintain their grip on the top spot. Riviera United Reserves and Newton Rovers Reserves fell off the pace with a 1-1 draw.

Finally, there were two Firewatch Devon Senior Cup matches involving South Devon sides. The least said about those the better as Bovey Tracey Reserves crashed out 7-2 at The Navy Inn and Totnes & Dartington Reserves were soundly beaten 8-1 away at Millbridge Reserves.

Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon