TUFC 2 V 2 Yeovil Town

torquay united gulls sport south devon

TUFC 2 V 2 Yeovil Town

Torquay United’s first pre-season home game of the season ended all square with League 1 outfit Yeovil Town, the Gulls taking a well deserved 2 – 2 draw at Plainmoor.

Transfer listed Elliot Benyon scored a bullet header from six yards out with only 3 minutes remaining on the watch to level the game after good work outside the area from substitute Daniel Sullivan, before he threaded a ball to full back Niall Thompson, who’s perfect cross found Benyon’s head. It was little more than the Gulls deserved after a 90 minute display that pleased boss Chris Hargreaves. 

Yeovil had taken a controversial lead on 54 minutes when Krystian Pearce was adjudged to have brought down his Yeovil opponent. The resulting spot kick was converted by Ajay Litch-Smith, leaving everyone in the ground wondering what Pearce had actually done wrong.

United managed to get back on level terms on 58 mins, when a good run and pass by Luke Young found Courtney Cameron and his left footed shot found it’s way into the far corner of the Yeovil net after clipping the post.

Many people in the ground would have expected Town’s second goal after 78 mins to be the winner. Chergui smashing the ball in from close range after good work on the right from one of Yeovil’s trialist players on show.

However the young Gulls in the second half never gave up and impressed Hargreaves with their composure, possession and hard work after the break and they where rewarded with Benyon’s late equaliser. 

A solid first 45 minute display from United saw the Gulls go in at half time level with their opponents. New signing Louis Briscoe arguable had the best efforts on the Yeovil goal during the half, with the best a right footed drive from the edge of the area after a solid run holding off his marker before his goal bound effort was blocked by the diving defender.

Briscoe also had a strike from a tight angle go just wide of the far post after good work down the left from Courtney Cameron  saw his cross go over the head of United forward Ryan Bowman, with Briscoe following up on the edge of the six yard box.

Yeovil did show some quality and should have taken the lead when a good move and one two saw Dawson hit Rice’s right hand post with the keeper beaten.

United’s back four remained tight throughout the half with centre pairing of Pearce and Downs showing a strong understanding from last season while Dale Tonge and the very impressive Levi Ives gave good outlets and width. Ives showed great experience for a young full back linking well with the midfield when attacking but also strength and awareness in defence.

In midfield new signing Luke Young looked strong in possession and  showed good vision when looking for the right pass, moving the Gulls forward at every opportunity. 

Straight after the break Hargreaves made two changes bringing on Cruise, Ajala for Ives and Briscoe but it wasn’t long before the whole starting eleven was changed. The only concern for Hargreaves was the injury to Pearce on 72 minutes but the change looked more of a safety measure with a long campaign coming up.

The changes brought the normal flurry of opportunities for both sides as they tried to settle back down, Downs and Ajala both having opportunities to score for United before the second Yeovil strike. Overall Hargreaves was pleased with the way his new look squad had applied themselves against strong opposition.

Next up for United, is another home fixture against Walsall on Saturday, 3pm kick off, before next Tuesday’s local derby against Plymouth Argyle.    

TUFC: Rice (Seabright 65), Tonge (Thompson 65), Downes (Capt)(MacDonald 65), Pearce (Hutchings 72), Ives (Cruise 45), Cameron (Chapell 65), Young (Chaney 60), O’Achie (Sullivan 60), Richards (Harding 60), Bowman (Benyon 60), Briscoe (Ajala 45)

Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon