TUFC 0 V 0 Plymouth Argyle

torquay united gulls sport south devon

TUFC 0 V 0 Plymouth Argyle

Local sides Torquay United and Plymouth Argyle played out a 0 – 0 draw on Tuesday night  in the latest pre-season fixture for the Devon pair. 

Both sides had chances to take the win but neither could convert over the 90 minutes. Argyle had the better of the first half but United came out after half time and showed some excellent touches and controlled large parts of the second 45 minutes.

The first half offered a lot of midfield play with Argyle taking most of the possession but they failed to convert the chances that they created. The best of the Argyle chances fell to the lively Jason Banton who should have given the Greens a lead at half time after his 43rd minute effort. However Banton managed to clear the bar from 12 yards out when he should have slotted his effort either side of the United keeper. 

Before this Plymouth had half chances through Reid (9), Norburn (20), Alessandra (27) and Cox (29) but Rice in the Torquay goal was only made to work on one occasion.

United had their own chances in the half with the former Argyle player Luke Young coming close from the edge of the box on the stroke of half time, making McCormick pull of a fine save.

In the second half United came out strong and created a great opportunity when the impressive Young and Briscoe combined well to slide the ball through to Bowman, who saw his shot deflected wide after a great challenge from the Argyle defender. Moments later Briscoe himself had a great chance to open the scoring but his header just missed the far post from Cameron’s cross.

Plymouth continued to create chances also and Morgan and Alessandra again had efforts on goal but non really troubled the United keeper.

Both managers made changes during the second half, Hargreaves introduced Ajala on 71 minutes and he almost scored with his first touch, controlling the ball well before firing a shot from the edge of the box just over the bar.

A concern for the United Manager was the removal of Young after 75 minutes. The player pulled up after another forward run, it looked like a hamstring injury but thankfully for everyone it was confirmed after the game as just cramp.

Following the final whistle, Hargreaves said that he was again pleased with the efforts of his players, “Argyle had the best of the first half but we changed our approach after the break and the players responded well, I thought we had the better chances and possession in the second 45 minutes”.

United now have two away fixtures at Weymouth and Exeter City before the season starts on August 9th. 

TUFC: Rice, Tonge, Cruise, Downes, MacDonald, Briscoe (Chapell 70), Young (Chaney 75), Harding (Richards 60), Cameron (Ajala 70), Benyon (Yeoman 60), Bowman (Sullivan 78)

Subs Not Used: Seabright, Ives, Hutchings, Thompson

Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon