SWPL: Andrews Stunner Earns Spurs Share of the Spoils in Six Goal Thriller

SWPL: Andrews Stunner Earns Spurs Share of the Spoils in Six Goal Thriller

Match report by Newton Abbot Spurs

Newton Abbot Spurs continued their recent fine form into 2015 after a hard fought 3-3 draw against Budleigh Salterton in an entertaining game.

Player-manager Adam Dyson was forced into two changes from the Boxing Day win over Liverton United, Chris Darke and Jake Elms replacing the injured Carl Bradley and suspended Tom Sercombe respectively.

Spurs started the game brightly and almost took the lead in the first minute. Joe Andrews’ deflected effort from the edge of the box crashed against the underside of the bar and away with Budleigh ‘keeper Alan Doble beaten. Spurs continued to look the more threatening going forward but failed to test Doble. Budleigh’s first effort came on 14 minutes but Stuart Tuckett could only blaze over after Spurs’ No.1 Niall Herbert had spilled Josh Sale’s right-wing cross. The home side took the lead on 31 minutes, Mark Lever meeting Danny Wiliams’ corner to send a powerful header into the far top corner, despite the efforts of Spurs’ Shaun Bowden on the line. Spurs weren’t behind for long, three minutes to be exact, Dyson sending a looping header over Doble following Joe Long’s pinpoint left-wing cross. Dyson should have put Spurs ahead on 38 minutes but he was thwarted by Doble after being sent clear by Jake Chisholm.

Spurs started the second half how they started the first, creating the clearer chances but failing to capitalise. Following good work from Andrews, Jake Elms and Dyson, Bowden found himself free on the left hand side of the home side’s box but could only hit the post as Doble closed down the space allowed. Andrews sent a fizzing 30-yard effort narrowly over minutes later before the home side regained the lead on 58 minutes. Lever was again the man on target, cutting in from the right hand side unchallenged before curling a fine effort around the outstretched arm of Herbert. Williams almost extended the home sides lead but his 20-yard free kick hit Spurs’ upright before Dyson once again brought Spurs level on 70 minutes. Andrews flicked on Chris Metters’ long ball out from the back to Bowden who in turn put Dyson clear. With the first half one-on-one miss at the forefront of everyone’s mind, Dyson ensured lightning didn’t strike twice as he slid the ball past Doble and into the empty net. Just two minutes later, Spurs – and Dyson – were handed a chance to earn themselves goal number three of the day from the spot after Andrews had been brought down. To the despair of the Spurs faithful, Dyson saw his spot-kick hit the post before being cleared to safety. To rub salt into the wounds, Budleigh took the lead for a third time just four minutes after the miss on 76 minutes. A swift counter-attack, coupled with defensive errors, saw Williams put clear; he spotted Herbert charging off his line and slotted the ball under the oncoming ‘keeper from 30 yards and into the unguarded net. Once again Spurs would hit back and, this time, in fine style, just two minutes later. A left wing cross was headed as far as Andrews some 35 yards out. Despite there seeming to be no danger to the home goal, Andrews chested the ball before volleying in via the underside of the bar to earn Spurs a share of the spoils in an entertaining, end-to-end game.

On the balance of play, a draw was probably a fair result but if Spurs could have taken the chances presented to them, they may have built up a comfortable lead for themselves.

Next week Spurs entertain Appledore in the league, a side they have already beat at home this season in the Devon Premier Cup.

FT: Budleigh Salterton 3 – 3 Newton Abbot Spurs

teignmouth exeter university throgmorton devon premier cup 2014 sport south devon


Teigns Take Advantage of Unexpected Home Tie to Go Top

Match report by Martin Jones

Axminster conceded home advantage in this fixture and Teignmouth seized the opportunity to secure three points in front of their own supporters.

 Teigns started strongly and came close to opening the scoring twice; then, in the 13th minute, Geoff Breslan played a neat one-two with Adam Fay before hitting a neatly struck shot into the bottom right corner of the visitors’ net. Scott Baxter had two goals disallowed from corners, both efforts ruled out by the linesman’s offside flag. Home ‘keeper Liam Jones made a good stop from a stinging drive as the half drew to a close but, on the balance of play, Teigns were unfortunate to be only leading by the odd goal at the break.

 They didn’t take long to add a second goal after the restart. Geoff Breslan’s deep free kick to the back post was nodded down by Scott Telford and Fay stabbed home from close range with the second half two minutes old. Teigns pushed for a third goal: Axminster’s ‘keeper made a sharp save at the near post to keep out Finn Graham’s header from Ryan Bush’s cross in the 51st minute, and Graham went close minutes later with a diving header that flashed just wide. A soggy pitch surface began to sap the strength of both sides and neat football was becoming more difficult in the Coombe Valley mud. A superb 25-yard strike from Sam Dibling pulled a goal back for Axminster in the 86th minute and the visitors doubled their efforts to snatch something from the game; but the fresh legs of substitutes Sam Chapman and Hayden Roe kept the visiting defence busy and Chapman hit the foot of the post in the 88th minute, then lashed the rebound toward goal only to see the ‘keeper pull off a magnificent save, tipping the ball over the crossbar. One minute later, the two subs combined when Roe slid in to provide the finish to Chapman’s low cross for Teigns’ third goal.

 The win takes Teigns a point clear at the top of the table as former leaders Galmpton were held to a 2-2 draw by Tavistock. This coming Saturday Teigns are away to Plymstock. Kick off is at 2.15pm.

FT: Axminster 1 – 3 Teignmouth (at Coombe Valley)

[box] More detailed reports and team info to come from the other South Devon Peninsula sides, but in the meantime, here is the round-up adapted from the League website at www.swpleague.co.uk [/box]

 Premier Division:

The wet weather reduced the opening weekend of 2015 to just three matches. Bottom side Bovey Tracey lost 4-1 away at a Torpoint Athletic side who climb four places to ninth.

Division One East:

The East Division was least affected by the wet weather with half of the eight scheduled matches taking place today. These included both of the top two sides with Teignmouth going top of the table as they beat Axminster Town 3-1, technically away from home but in a match played at Coombe Valley. The win lifted them above Galmpton United who fell from the summit after being held to a 2-2 draw at home by Tavistock.

Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon