Paste your Google Webmaster Tools verification code here

SWPL 25th October 2014


Division One East:

imagesDark Days for Spurs After Defeat Against T&D

by Newton Abbot Spurs FC

Newton Abbot Spurs fell to another league defeat at the hands of Totnes and Dartington and were dealt another blow in the process, midfielder Charlie Robinson being taken to hospital with a broken leg. Manager Adam Dyson gave a debut to Dean Stevens while recalling Robinson, Gary Fisher and Tom Sercombe to the starting line up. Matt Lear replaced the unwell Sean Hooton in goal. The game was preceeded with an impeccable minute’s silence for Ted Walmsley, husband of our club secretary and a loyal supporter, who passed away in the week leading up to the game.

 Spurs had the worst possible start, conceding within the first two minutes of the game. Sam Heath’s right wing free kick found Mike Bishop rising highest to head past Lear in the home goal. Spurs never got going in the opening exchanges and went further behing after quarter of an hour, Liam Collings with a superb finish past Lear after being put through. The visiting side extended their lead further after 25 minutes and it was another set piece that was Spurs’ undoing. Myles Chalcraft was the beneficiary this time as he rose highest to plant his header into the bottom corner of Lear’s net to give his side an unassailable lead. The major incident of the game came on the half hour mark, young midfielder Charlie Robinson coming off worst from a tackle in midfield. Play was delayed for 35 minutes as Robinson was attended to by paramedics before being taken to hospital. Manager Adam Dyson used the break in play to re-jig his side, Matt Williams coming on for Robinson with Dean Stevens moving inside to play alongside Fisher in midfield. Spurs returned from the hold up a different side and dominated the final 15 minutes of the first half. Shaun Bowden capitalised by pulling a goal back on 35 minutes, but Spurs couldnt close the gap on their visitors.

 The second half was a frustrating one for Spurs, continued spells of possession rarely yielding a threat on the away goal. Tots’ centre-back pairing of Dan Hurrell and Tom Comyn were a dominating presence at the heart of the defence, winning everything that came their way. Then, ten minutes from time, the same combination as with the second goal sealed Spurs’ fate as Chalcraft rose to head home at the far post. The home side were reduced to ten men three minutes from time as Chris Metters was given his marching orders, Totnes and Dartington running out deserved winners. To make things worse for Spurs, it was confirmed after the game that Robinson had suffered a broken tibia and will be out of action for the foreseeable future, everyone at the club wishes Charlie a very speedy recovery.

Next week Spurs turn their attention to the Devon Premier Cup when they entertain Appledore.

FT: Newton Abbot Spurs 1 – 4 Totnes and Dartington

TeignsBadgeLambs Help Put a Dent in Teigns’ Lead

by Martin Jones

Despite defeat, Teignmouth still remain top of the table although the chasing pack have games in hand, one of which is Tavistock themselves who lie fifth, five points behind Teigns having played four games less after this match.

 Teigns took the lead in the 16th minute, Steve Shrubb sending Sam Chapman through on goal. Chapman, still with work to do, rounded the home ‘keeper and drilled the ball in from a tight angle despite an attempt to clear by Tavy’s centre-half. Teigns ‘keeper Liam Jones made a good save down low at his near post in the 28th minute, but Tavy levelled in the 33rd minute when Dawe headed home from a corner. One minute later they had the lead; Jones made another fine save, tipping a long-range strike onto the bar, but Hulme stabbed the rebound home from close range. In the 41st minute, Hayden Roe brought a good save from the home ‘keeper with a 25-yard drive and, on the stroke of half-time, Teigns almost equalised as some quick two touch build up play saw Isaac Reed cross for Roe whose shot hit the inside of the post and rolled across the face of goal.

 Ryan Bush twice came close early in the second half but, on the hour, Hulme extended Tavy’s lead with a crisp shot from 18 yards. Teigns lost the influential Geoff Breslan in the 71st minute after a nasty challenge that went unpunished. Teigns reshuffled but couldn’t get back into the game as the home side defended their lead to take the points.

FT: Tavistock 3 – 1 Teignmouth

LivertonBadge‘Unlucky’ Liverton Lose After 2-0 Lead

by Justin Yeates

Liverton started the game brightly and took a five minute lead when Ollie Aplin cut in from the right and fired past the ‘keeper. Our lead was doubled ten minutes later when Mike Turner jiggled his way past the St Martins defence to calmly slot past the ‘keeper and make it 2-0. Then we lost striker Tom Reeves and it was later confirmed that he had broken his right foot. St Martins scored against the run of play, after a foul on Justin Grinsill wasn’t given, and St Martins made it 2-1. Just before half time, Striker Mike Turner pulled up with a groin strain as well to end a good first half on a sore note.

In the second half, St Martins came at us and got their rewards. After we failed to clear a corner, they reacted first to pull the scores level. Five minutes later – disaster! St Martins pulled a corner back to the o rushing Andy Brooks and his cross from thirty yards went over everyone and into the top corner. Liverton continued to press and were unlucky when Cianan Breen’s cross hit the inside of the post and bounced on the line before being cleared. As Liverton kept trying to get forward, at the back Jason Kinsman pulled off two good saves to keep the Lilies in with a shout.

After all the pressure from the home side a draw would have been a fair result.

FT: Liverton United 2 – 3 St Martins

More detailed reports and team info to come from the other South Devon Peninsula sides, but in the meantime, here is the round-up adapted from the League website at

 Premier Division:

On Wednesday 22nd October, Plymouth Parkway continued their rich league form with a 10-0 win away at bottom club Bovey Tracey. Leaders Ivybridge Town had a 3-1 win away at Witheridge to pull themselves six points clear at the top.Then, on Saturday, Town extended their lead further, to nine points, as they were the only side in the morning’s top three to record a win as they had a 4-0 success away at Elburton Villa. St Austell climbed a place to 3rd with a 3-0 win away at Stoke Gabriel. Launceston were 4-0 winners at home to bottom of the table Bovey Tracey.

Division One East:

Galmpton United stay in second spot after a 3-1 win away at Plymstock United. Sidmouth Town are up a place to 8th after a 3-2 home win over Brixham.

Download mp3