Stoke Stun Elburton with 11 Goal Haul (Local Football Round-Up)

Stoke Gabriel Sport South Devon

Stoke Stun Elburton with 11 Goal Haul (Local Football Round-Up)

Picture (c) Sport South Devon/Matt Green

As a Division One East side, Stoke Gabriel seemed to be able to score goals for fun, but life in the Premier has been a different story with the Railwaymen generally involved in tight matches. For example, up until last Saturday, only two of the games they had played this season had ended with the victors winning by more than a goal. So when Tim Porter’s men stepped out against Elburton Villa, a team they had already beaten by a single goal away from home, no one at Broadley Lane could have predicted the final scoreline – 11-0 (yes, eleven!) to the hosts.

Stoke made the perfect start, Dave Worthington netting within the first minute, and by the quarter-hour mark they were three up courtesy of strikes from Ollie Aplin and Stuart Bowker. Ryan O’Callaghan was next to add his name to the score-sheet with a goal on 27 minutes, ten minutes before Bowker’s second made it five to the home side. Two goals in a minute for Aplin secured him a first half hat-trick and Stoke an astonishing 7-0 half-time advantage. Villa kept Stoke out for over 20 minutes after the restart before the floodgates opened once more, Worthington grabbing his brace on 68 minutes before Aplin netted his fourth and Bowker completed his hat-trick. The final word went to debutant Liam Jones who found the net for goal number eleven. Not surprisingly, the result was Stoke’s biggest ever win in the Peninsula League Premier and one that could well turn their season around.

Four Throgmorton Devon Premier Cup First Round matches pitted South Devon League Premier sides against Carlsberg South West Peninsula Division One opponents with one SDFL side making it through. 2014 winners Watcombe Wanderers scored the only goal of the game at King George V, through danger man Sean Finch, to knock out Justin Yeates’ Liverton United. Yeates’ former club Waldon Athletic were also involved in a local derby but found Galmpton United too strong for them, losing out 6-0 at the War Memorial Ground. Liam Moseley scored a hat-trick for the Greens, George Dandridge struck twice and Neil Stephens also netted. Elsewhere, Division One West outfit Plymstock United defeated Kingskerswell & Chelston 3-1 while Division One East side Sidmouth Town scored two without reply at Kingsteignton Athletic, all goals coming in the first 45 minutes. Rikki Pitter opened the scoring for the Vikings before a long Alex Bowring kick set up Cameron Vere who headed number two. When Tony Cox was brought down, Pitter had a chance to put the visitors three up by the break, but the home ‘keeper did well to save the penalty.

Teignmouth and Bovey Tracey were victorious in their South Devon derby ties. Brixham AFC had taken the lead at Coombe Valley, but goals from Ryan Bush, Hayden Roe, Steven Shrubb and Steve Smith saw Teigns through to Round Two. Confident Bovey came away from Totnes & Dartington with a 4-2 triumph, Danny Malick once more on target with Ashley White, Chester Walters and Matt Hawes adding the other goals. Newton Abbot Spurs added their name to the Second Round hat with a 3-1 home win over Devon & Exeter Premier side Sidbury United. Player-manager Adam Dyson settled the hosts’ nerves, on two minutes, winning a one-on-one with visiting goalkeeper Dan Gale, after Joe Andrews’ through-ball, and hitting a bottom-corner opener from 12 yards out. After 18 minutes, Carl Bradley’s through ball set up Shaun Bowden for another one-on-one. This time Bowden hit the ball high into the net to double Spurs’ lead. Sidbury fought back and were rewarded ten minutes later. Connor Hannaford’s shot hit the bar and came back to Peter Grover whose close-range shot was saved. But Grover was given a second bite of the cherry and made no mistake this time. Spurs then began to assert their authority and came close with some long-range efforts before Dyson set up Bradley for a third goal ten minutes after the break. Bradley slammed the ball into the roof of the net from just inside the box to finally end battling Sidbury’s chances of an upset.

There was also joy for South Hams sides Dartmouth AFC and Loddiswell Athletic. Darts comfortably saw off the challenge of fellow-SDFL side Ivybridge Town Reserves with an emphatic 7-1 win at Longcross, Karl Baker with a hat-trick and Charlie Smith, Liam McAuley, Frost and Greeno with the balance. Loads edged ahead against previously unbeaten Devon & Exeter Premier side Newtown in the 21st minute through Jose Pitarch Jorge but only made the next round after a dramatic ending which saw the home side equalise in the last minute but Loddiswell’s Edd Roberts net a second goal in injury time. Buckland Athletic Reserves go through by default due to the withdrawal of Broadhempston United.

In the Firewatch Devon Senior Cup, Ashburton worked hard to depose DC Auto Repairs 6-1 at Chuley Road and fellow Division One outfit Newton Abbot ’66 made short work of Maristow, winning 6-2 at Osborne Park. Ipplepen Athletic were not so fortunate, bowing out 2-1 at home to the University of Exeter Reserves. In the two all SDFL Division One clashes, Paignton Villa enjoyed a somewhat surprising 3-0 home win over Buckland Athletic Thirds while Babbacombe Corinthians outscored Chudleigh Athletic 3-2 away. Other all-SDFL clashes saw Foxhole United (Division One) knock out Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves (Division Two) 4-2 at Belfield; Division Two side Buckfastleigh Rangers perform well to overcome Stoke Gabriel Thirds, from Division One, 4-1; Beesands Rovers, struggling in Division One, going through 3-0 at Division Two’s Paignton Saints and Roselands dispatching Watcombe Wanderers Reserves 2-1 after extra-time – a sweet victory for the hosts after controversially losing the Division Three title to Watcombe on goal difference last season!

In the A&S Paving Devon Intermediate Cup Second Round, Division Four leaders Watcombe Wanderers Thirds found an extra-time winner to knock out Division Three opponents Torbay Police 2-1. Meadowbrook Athletic smashed Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves 5-1 to maintain their positive start and see another Division Four side advance against Division Three opponents. Elsewhere, Division Three sides came out on top with Waldon Athletic Thirds scoring two without reply at Broadmeadow and East Allington United Reserves narrowly beating Ashburton Reserves 4-3. Salcombe Town and AFC Staverton, both flying high in Division Three, met at the Berry, with the home side going through 2-1 after a good contest, and another all-Division Three encounter saw Dartmouth AFC Reserves win 4-1 at Liverton United Reserves, Armitage with a brace and Rushe and Kerry also scoring. Ten goals were scored in the all-Division Four match between Riviera United and Roselands Reserves, the hosts winning 6-4. Paignton Villa Reserves knocked out Stoke Fleming & Strete 7-2 away to end the Division Five representation.

Due to the cup ties, there was only a slimmed down SDFL league programme on Saturday.

Two goals from both Chris Harper and Gav Collins, plus a single from Sam Peardon won Buckland Athletic Reserves a third successive clean sheet and a sixth win in a row as the defending champions beat East Allington United 5-0 to maintain their pressure at the top of the Premier Division. Neil Snell’s side remain in second spot though, having played one game less than leaders Watcombe Wanderers. Brixham AFC move above Upton Athletic and into fourth spot, 3-0 the final score from Wall Park, and Andy Eden’s hat-trick helped Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves to their first away league win of the season; Ryan Fawden scored twice and John Brassington also netted in a fine 6-1 victory at Stoke Gabriel Reserves.

In Division One, Totnes & Dartington picked up a first point of the season with a 2-2 draw away at Bovey Tracey Reserves. Elsewhere, Buckland & Milber lifted themselves off the bottom with a first win from four attempts, beating Kingskerswell & Chelston Reserves 3-2 at Long Lane; Kieran Joy struck twice with Elliot Simson also finding the net.

In Division Two, Harbertonford recovered from last week’s loss to the leaders to win 3-1 at South Brent and climb to fourth. Brixham Town are getting into their stride, enjoying a third win on the bounce in all competitions with a 2-0 triumph at Newton United who sit bottom of the pile. Hookhills United achieved their first win, beating Waldon Athletic Reserves 2-1 away, and Bishopsteignton United’s first victory of the season came at the expense of Teignmouth Reserves, Bishops winning 5-3 to send Teigns to their first loss.

In Division Three, Upton Athletic Reserves are finally off the mark with a 1-1 draw at home to Teign Village. Harbertonford Reserves picked up their first win with a single goal at home to Chudleigh Athletic Reserves who have yet to taste victory. Dittisham United remain rooted after going down 5-2 at home to Ipplepen Athletic Reserves.

In Division Four, Dan Garswood found the net in successive matches for Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves with two goals at Barton Athletic, but the home side scored three times, twice through Rooney and once through an own goal, to leave Corries still seeking that first point. Torquay Town moved up to sixth after a 4-1 home victory against Newton Abbot ’66 Reserves, the visitors yet to win a point. Kingsbridge & Kellaton United picked up their first point of the season with a 1-1 home draw against Newton Rovers.

There was a practically full programme of matches in Division Five and Torbay Police Reserves continued their unblemished start with a 4-1 win at Paignton Saints Reserves, Saints losing for the first time this season but scoring through Pocknell. Newton Rovers Reserves are five points behind in second spot after a 3-1 home victory over Barton Athletic Reserves. Despite having yet to score a point, Athletic moved off the bottom above Watts, Blake & Bearne AFC who lost 5-1 at home to third-placed Riviera United Reserves. Broadhempston United Reserves are yet to drop a point; they defeated Malborough United 4-2 but sit fourth having played two games less than the teams above them. Monington’s strike was not enough for Newton United Reserves as Moretonhampstead picked up their first points in a month with a 3-1 win at Wadley Brook. Sean Harry and Ash Stickley scored the goals as Buckland & Milber Reserves picked up a 2-1 away win at Chudleigh Athletic Thirds.

Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon