Paste your Google Webmaster Tools verification code here

SDFL 25th October 2014

polonia torbay babbacombe corinthians sdfl herald cup 2014 sport south devon

Polonia Torbay shocked Corries with a 2-0 win at Barton Downs. (c)

Division Three side Ashburton once more pulled out the result of the day as they booted Premier team Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves out of the Herald Cup Second Round. If a 7-0 win at Bovey Tracey Reserves wasn’t enough of an eye-opener, Ashburton enjoyed an incredible 6-1 victory over Spurs at Chuley Road. Furnivall scored four for himself with Bannister hitting a double; Tom Barrett hit Spurs’ consolation.
Kingskerswell & Chelston also fell to lower division opponents, Division Two side Beesands Rovers progressing with a 4-0 home win. The Bees once again shared the goals around the team, with Guy Watson, Joe Bailey, Jon Burt and Danny Tucker all netting.
There were also surprise casualties among the Division One contingent.
A wonder goal from Polonia Torbay’s Kamil Juszczak wrapped up victory for the Division Four side as they put on an impressive performance to despatch Division One hosts Babbacombe Corinthians at Barton Downs. Grzegorz Wojtowicz had opened the scoring, five minutes from the end of the first half, with a showpiece free-kick of his own which curled around the wall to beat Jordan Smith. Corries had their chances in an absorbing contest but couldn’t convert them. Then, on 53 minutes they found themselves two down as Juszczak turned and hit a bullet shot into the side of the net from fully 25 yards. The hosts came close to grabbing a lifeline with ten minutes to go, but Ricardo Ramos pulled off a fine save to maintain the two goal cushion and help ease Polonia through to a deserved place in the third round.
“That was an absolutely fantastic game,” said Polonia manager Les Barszcz. “Our side was full of confidence. When we scored the first goal we got more confidence. The second goal was absolutely fantastic.”
“Our problems with goalscoring became evident,” said Corries chairman Tony Bowden. “We could have been a couple up by half time, but they got stronger as the half went on.
“We were very impressed with them and they scored two great goals. We had two or three chances second half to pull ourselves back, but we didn’t take them. Credit to them; they played very well.”
Division Two form side Brixham Town claimed another scalp with a convincing 4-1 win against Broadhempston United from Division One. Halliday (2), Cooper and an own goal secured the win and it could have been more as Halliday had a late penalty saved and Dave Brown smacked a header against the bar.
Bishopsteignton United did well to force extra-time at home to Division One visitors Newton Abbot 66, but after normal time finished 1-1, 66 found the decisive second they needed.
East Allington United returned to Longcross, the scene of last season’s Senior Cup semi-final defeat, and made amends by knocking hosts Dartmouth AFC out in the South Hams derby. Si Hannaford continued his prolific start to the season with a hat-trick in a 3-2 win.
Last year’s finalists are both through to the third round draw after winning away to Premier opponents: two goals from Danny Harvey and strikes from Lewis Woodmore and Mike Fieldhouse saw holders Watcombe Wanderers through at Stoke Gabriel Reserves, while Buckland Athletic Reserves triumphed 2-1 at Erme Valley to end Ivybridge Town Reserves’ hopes; young Joe Crook and Lee Chapman scored for the Yellows.
Upton Athletic showed their class – and teeth – at home to Barton Athletic, sweeping their Division Five neighbours aside to the tune of 10-0. New signing Jamie Philpott added another six to his rapidly growing tally, with Lee Chamberlain adding a brace and Andrew Walker and Dan Kingscote singles. Waldon Athletic were too strong for hosts Foxhole United, leaving the Belfield with an 8-1 win.
Kingsteignton Athletic also made it through with a 5-2 home victory over Meadowbrook Athletic, Lee Smith and David Prout strikes not enough to overcome the Rams.
Totnes & Dartington Reserves have been struggling to score in the league this season, but they weren’t shy in front of goal at Abbotskerswell, Tots cruising through 5-0.
Harbertonford of Division Two ended the hopes of Division Five’s Kingsbridge & Kellaton United, winning 2-0 at The Hams.
Roselands enjoyed yet more success, the Division Three leaders putting Torbay Police out; two first half penalties and a red card for deliberate handball helped the visitors to a 3-0 lead, but Ollie Abercrombie pulling one back for the Police before the break. But two soft goals in the second half left the home side with too much to do, Zac Chancellor’s penalty not enough to prevent a 5-2 scoreline at Churston Grammar School. Dittisham United ensured there were no Division Five survivors with a comprehensive 4-0 win at Stoke Fleming & Strete. Finally, Liverton United Reserves won the Division Four battle at Lewthorne Cross, beating Ilsington Villa 3-1.

In the Fred Hewings Cup, holders Buckland Athletic Thirds marched into the quarter-finals in a repeat of last season’s final against Watcombe Wanderers Reserves. Just as in May, the match went to extra-time, but after finishing 3-3, the Yellows went through 4-1 on penalties. The goals in open time came from George Fice, Nathin Johnson and Nicky Edmunds (Buckland), and Jordan Finch (2) and Sam Edney for Watcombe. Division Three’s East Allington United Reserves punched above their weight to eliminate Brixham AFC Thirds 4-3 at Poole Lane. But fellow Division Three outfit Harbertonford Reserves bowed out 3-1 at Kingskerswell & Chelston Reserves of Division One. Roselands Reserves of Division Four go through with a home walkover as Ipplepen Athletic Reserves couldn’t raise a side.

There were no games in the Premier Division but Loddiswell Athletic picked up their first points with Watts, Blake & Bearne unable to field a team.

In Division One, Chudleigh Athletic move up the table, scoring five at Buckfastleigh Rangers without reply. Unbeaten Paignton Villa also climb courtesy of a 4-1 success at Teignmouth Reserves. Ipplepen Athletic are finally off the mark, at the fifth attempt, drawing 2-2 at home to Stoke Gabriel Thirds who scored through Rob Chatfield and Ash Beetschen.

Buckland & Milber stormed back to the top of Division Two with a dozen goals against Totnes & Dartington Thirds bringing back memories of the 2013 Les Bishop Cup final. Josh Moore is back at Long Lane and hit five with Cory Brennan (2), Lee Lewis, Leigh Saunders, Shaun Waldron, Terry Jones and Dan Steer taking their share of the plunder. Calvin Endacott’s hat-trick couldn’t prevent Newton United slipping to a first defeat, South Brent claiming their first maximum with a 5-4 win at Palstone Park. Hookhills United have found their feet, winning 2-1 at home to Paignton Saints for their second on the trot, Luke Pocknell with Saints’ effort. Waldon Athletic Reserves ended Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves’ perfect start with a single strike.

In Division Three, Waldon Athletic Thirds still await their first win, Matt Thorn and Ollie Stannard with braces apiece in a 4-0 win for Salcombe Town at Windmill Hill. Dartmouth AFC Reserves continued their inconsistent start with a 3-1 reverse at Teign Village. Chudleigh Athletic Reserves came away from South Brent Reserves with a 4-1 win.

In Division Four, AFC Staverton reclaimed top spot by defeating Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves 5-1, Lee Clarke with four and Dave Rowntree one; Gill scored Corries’ consolation. Riviera United move up to second with a narrow triumph over Newton Abbot 66 Reserves. Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves enjoyed consecutive away wins, Ryan Porter and Glen Palmer with doubles, and Brett Easterbrook and Bradlei Davison with singles in a 6-3 victory at Paignton Villa Reserves. Preston South End edged Newton Rovers 3-2 at Bakers Park, James Davies and Tom Carne on target for Rovers.

In Division Five, Watcombe Wanderers Thirds picked up another three points, beating Malborough United 4-1 at the King George V, goals from Jamie Carter, Harvey Hickman, Richard Frost and Owen Stockton. Broadmeadow are the only side yet to drop a point; they go second with a tight 2-1 win at Paignton Saints Reserves, Saints yet to pick up a point. Torquay Town hold on to third spot despite consecutive narrow losses; one goal was enough for Newton United Reserves to claim the points at the Denbury Playing Fields. Darren Bastow’s hat-trick helped Moretonhampstead to a fourth league win of the season. Rui de Garces, Jake Snell and Jeremy Tompsett also found the net as the home side defeated pointless Buckland & Milber Reserves 6-2; Dan Ashworth and Ollie Reitschy found the net for Ben Harper’s side. Finally, Newton Rovers Reserves were held 3-3 by Ashburton Reserves, Aaron Underhill, Martin Breslan and Matt Furness netting for the home side.

Download mp3