SDFL 7th February 2015

SDFL Sport South Devon
All eyes were on the George Belli Cup First Round clash at the Western Roofing ground as Bovey Tracey Reserves sought to continue their turnaround in form at the expense of Buckland Athletic Reserves. But despite a valiant effort by Steve Cooney’s side, Bucks’ Scott McRoy lashed home the decisive goal a minute into the second period of extra-time to send the visitors through. Lee Pike had given the Yellows a half-time lead with a 28th minute goal, following a free-kick, but Callum Livingstone raked a 57th minute drive across the goal from the right hand side to level the scores. The home side received a blow nine minutes into extra-time, Jordan Blackmore rightly dismissed for slapping Lewis Perring in the face after the latter had fouled him by the right-hand touchline. The dismissal may not have had much bearing on the outcome, but it did make a tough job even more difficult. Despite the defeat, the gutsy Moorlanders can hold their heads up high as they turn their sights back to league survival.

Sadly, the derby between Kingskerswell & Chelston and Upton Athletic was marred by a serious leg injury to Kingskerswell’s young goalkeeper Ben Francis following a second-half challenge. The referee abandoned the match shortly afterwards.

In the other Premier action, Dartmouth AFC stunned Watcombe Wanderers by inflicting the Greens’ first ever Premier Division defeat. Karl Baker was not in action so scoring duties passed to Liam McAuley, who scored twice for Darts, Curtis Booth finding the net for Watcombe. Waldon Athletic edged bottom side Kingsteignton Athletic 2-1, and there was another win for resurgent Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves who defeated Stoke Gabriel Reserves 6-3; Andy Eden and Tom Barrett hit two apiece for Spurs with Harrison Thorne and Josh Brassington also on target.

Goal-happy Chudleigh Athletic were at it again in the Dartmouth Cup knocking Herald semi-finalists Beesands Rovers out 6-3. Goals from Guy Watson (2) and Lee Morgan were not enough to prevent the Bees’ surprise exit.
The Division One six-pointer at Wall Park went the way of visiting Buckland Thirds who leapfrogged Brixham Reserves into second spot with a 2-1 win courtesy of strikes from Ben Cowling and Ryan Tovagliari. Chris Srdinko scored a hat-trick for Ipplepen, with Lloyd Tucker also scoring, in a 4-1 win over Broadhempston. Stoke Thirds pulled further away from the bottom of the table. Beetschen, Boiston and Chatfield on target in a 3-1 win over struggling Babbacombe who scored through Dan Lawton. Teignmouth Reserves also move above Corries with an impressive 2-1 win over Newton Abbot 66.

Ashburton warmed up for next week’s Devon Senior Cup quarter-final by reaching the last eight of the Lidstone Cup; Furnivall (2), Westwood and Clarke struck at Whiterock to dispatch Paignton Saints 4-0. Hookhills United join them, taking full advantage of an unexpected home advantage to send promotion hopefuls Brixham Town out of the competition; Dave Jolley (2) and Paul Bramwell notched for Hookhills, Russell Cooper with Town’s consolation. In Division Two, Totnes & Dartington Thirds started their second half of the season yet to win a point. It didn’t come at Broadpark, third place Kingsteignton Reserves winning 2-0 to send Tots to a fourteenth straight loss. Foxhole United slipped to a first defeat of the season in a scrappy affair at Belfield; Roland Blowers and Josh Moore strikes earned leaders Buckland & Milber the points with Liam Rose’s second half equaliser not enough for the Foxes. Waldon Athletic Reserves repeated last week’s cup victory at Brixham Thirds, winning 3-1 in the league encounter at Furzeham Green. Harbertonford won consecutive league ties with a 4-3 victory at Abbotskerswell, moving to within two points of their opponents. South Brent did well to hold Newton United to a 3-3 draw at the Denbury Playing Fields, Chris Harper, Darren Shiels and Calvin Endacott with United’s strikes.
Les Bishop Cup holders Watcombe Wanderers Reserves made short work of Ronald Cup opponents Harbertonford Reserves with a thumping 13-0 triumph at The Hams. Simon Ross was in the mood for goals, hitting six, Cieran Bridger and Lewis Bleir netted two apiece and there were goals from former Moretonhampstead goalscorer Rui de Garces, Casey Cooper and Sam Edney. East Allington Reserves knocked out Teign Village 4-1 at Poole Lane to join them, Kris Attiwell (2), Si Davis and Chris Jebb finding the net. Bishopsteignton United took their opportunity to close the gap on Watcombe in Division Three, racking up a fourth successive win by beating Ipplepen Reserves 5-3. Upton Athletic Reserves won the bragging rights in their derby with Waldon Athletic Thirds with a 4-0 home win; Steve Rohan bagged a brace with Ethan Foster and Jack Stacey also contributing.
Torbay Police booked their place in the last eight of the Les Bishop Cup with a comfortable 5-1 win at Paignton Villa Reserves. Ilsington Villa achieved back-to-back wins for the first time this season to make the quarters, beating Newton United 66 Reserves 2-1, Villa’s second victory over 66. In Division Four, Lee Smith earned Meadowbrook a decent point at the Dorothy Elmhirst, but the draw was enough to lift Riviera United to the top of the table. Previous leaders Liverton Reserves went down 3-1 at Roselands Reserves with Marc Hagland (2) and Liam Walton on target.
Ashburton Reserves maintained their perfect start to the year with a 4-0 Bill Treeby Cup win at Broadhempston United Reserves who last tasted victory in November.
Buckland & Milber Reserves may be currently propping up the league, but they also advanced into the quarter-finals with a 4-2 home win over Paignton Saints Reserves who have now lost three in succession.

In Division Three, South Brent’s search for a win goes on as Salcombe Town wrapped up their first win of the year. Angus Johnstone and Nick Bonnet scored doubles and Marcus Rossi and Ollie Stallard found the net in a 6-2 win at Palstone Park.

The top three in Division Five all secured away wins to tighten their grip on the division: Watcombe Thirds added to their cup win over Malborough with a 3-1 home win in the league while Broadmeadow hit Moretonhampstead for five. Anthony Jones and Mark Thomas both claimed hat-tricks as Barton Athletic put seven away at Newton United Reserves, Mark Lucas with the other strike. Broadmeadow also won. Torquay Town made amends for last week’s cup defeat at Kingskbridge & Kellaton United with a remarkable second half turnaround at Barton Downs. Kingsbridge took the lead on 20 minutes through Ben Smith and increased it 10 minutes later with a Luke Robey header from a corner. After a half-time roasting from manager Adam Carpenter, Torquay scored three in 10 minutes through Bart Karkau, Philip Bryen and Ant Roach before two further goals by Bryen and Roach sealed the victory.

Download mp3