Paste your Google Webmaster Tools verification code here

SDFL 24th January 2015

SDFL Sport South Devon
When the Herald Cup semi-final draw was made last Monday evening, the stage was set for a fourth successive final between Buckland Athletic and Watcombe Wanderers, both sides drawn apart. But both had postponed quarter-final ties against lower league sides to get out of the way first, and Beesands Rovers clearly hadn’t been given a copy of the script. the Division One side pulled off a sensational 3-2 win at Homers Heath yesterday to kick last year’s runners-up Buckland out of the competition. Jed Tucker, Lee Morgan and Guy Watson were the heroes for the club with Mark Sneap and Gav Collins scoring for Bucks. Beesands’ last and only success in the competition was back in 1962. If they are to have a chance of repeating the feat, they will now need to overcome South Hams rivals and Premier Leaders East Allington United in the semi-final.
Division Three side Roselands couldn’t get in on the giant-killing act though, Simon Walker’s side losing out 4-1 at the King George V to holders Watcombe. Peter Summerfield, Mike Fieldhouse, Danny Harvey and Royston Carrington scored the goals that secured a semi-final derby with in-form Waldon Athletic.
Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves’ achieved their first win of the year, knocking Stoke Gabriel Reserves out of the Belli Cup 4-1 at the Rec.

Three Premier Division matches were played and all threw up surprises. At Erme Valley Park, Ivybridge Town Reserves strengthened their claim for another top six finish by beating East Allington United 1-0, the leaders losing for the second week in a row. Second place Dartmouth AFC scored through McAuley and Baker but couldn’t capitalise, eventually held to a 2-2 draw at Broadpark. While this was undoubtedly a great result for Kingsteignton Athletic, the Rams may not feel much like celebrating. They now prop up the table after yet another win for Bovey Tracey Reserves, who came from two down to win 4-3 at Kingskerswell & Chelston, Jack Salmons (2), Mark Westlake and Paul Gimson with the goals. In fact, if the season started on New Year’s Day, Bovey would be leading the pack.

In Division One, Paignton Villa are back at the top after a thumping 6-1 win at bottom side Buckfastleigh Rangers who scored through James Ellis. Ipplepen Athletic’s five match unbeaten run was ended at Abbots Park, Buckland Athletic Thirds running out 4-1 victors. Newton Abbot 66 collected a vital three points at Totnes & Dartington Reserves, keeping their promotion hopes alive for now. Kingskerswell & Chelston Reserves achieved their first clean sheet and biggest league win of the campaign so far with a 5-0 victory at Teignmouth Reserves.
Broadhempston United cruised into the last eight of the Dartmouth Cup by thrashing Stoke Gabriel Thirds 11-1 at Headland, Ash Beetschen’s strike little consolation for the Railwaymen. Broads will be joined by Brixham AFC Reserves who won 2-0 at Babbacombe Corinthians.

In Division Two, Ashburton took the title fight to another level, Damien Furnivall in devastating form as the home side beat title challengers Brixham Town 10-0. Furnivall scored five times, Adam Stanbridge and Ben Harper netted two apiece and Danny Davis also scored at Chuley Road. Foxhole United, another team yet to taste defeat, comfortably saw off visiting Abbotskerswell, the score 5-1 at Belfield. Waldon Athletic Reserves condemned South Brent to a fourth straight defeat with a 4-1 victory at Palstone Park. Brixham AFC Thirds enjoyed their first win of the year, beating Paignton Saints 4-1 at Furzeham Green, Jamie Ford with Saints’ consolation. Harbertonford lifted themselves out of the bottom two, on goal difference, with a 4-1 home win over Hookhills United.
Meanwhile, there was a thrilling battle going on in the Lidstone Cup at Long Lane with last year’s runners-up Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves taking on Ronald Cup holders, and division leaders, Buckland & Milber. Josh Moore scored twice and Dan Steer once for the hosts but the visitors matched them all the way and took them to extra-time. The Rams then struck twice in extra-time to end Buckland & Milber’s successful cup run of recent seasons. Steve Narvidge showed proof of his intent to do well in the cup, Newton United putting Totnes & Dartington Thirds to the sword in an 11-0 victory at Denbury Playing Fields. Chris Harper claimed six goals, Tony Dyke managed a hat-trick and Calvin Endacott contributed two.

In Division Three, leaders Watcombe Wanderers Reserves unleashed Dan Broadway against Ipplepen Athletic Reserves. The powerful goalscorer struck four times as Wanderers won 7-1, Jonathan Carter, Cieran Bridger and Sam Edney with the remainder. Bishopsteignton United’s perfect start to the year continues, the Bishops winning 3-1 at bottom side Waldon Athletic Reserves. Salcombe Town held East Allington United Reserves to a 2-2 draw at Poole Lane, Dennis Corbin and Angus Johnstone with the visitors’ goals. Dartmouth AFC Reserves racked up a third consecutive league win, and a fifth in all competitions, with a 3-0 triumph over Harbertonford Reserves. South Brent Reserves bagged only their second point of the season after drawing 3-3 at home to Teign Village, the team they last won a point from.

In Division Four, Dittisham United’s usually solid defence was breached five times by leaders Liverton United Reserves who maintain their slender lead. Riviera United are behind only on goal difference, and they boosted theirs with four goals and a clean sheet at Preston South End. The division’s form side, Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves last conceded a goal in November and have now won six on the spin after a 4-0 win at Torbay Police; Ryan Porter (2), Dean Stevens and Glen Palmer found the net for Rangers. Paignton Villa Reserves won a decent point at AFC Staverton, as did Newton Abbot 66 Reserves, at home to Roselands Reserves. Ilsington Villa finally had a reason to cheer, bringing an eleven match losing streak to an end with a 2-1 win over Meadowbrook Athletic at Lewthorne Cross. Tommy Smith and Aaron Osborn struck for Villa, with Mathew Evans on the score-sheet for Athletic. Ilsington climb above their opponents.

In Division Five, Barton Athletic wrapped up the double against Paignton Saints Reserves at Clennon Valley; Anthony Jones was on the score-sheet twice for the visitors, with Neil Thomas and Jody Rooney also finding the net in a 4-2 win. Draw specialists Newton Rovers Reserves bagged another point with a 3-3 tie at home to Kingsbridge & Kellaton United. After losing 7-0 at Long Lane only last month, Malborough United turned the tables on Buckland & Milber Reserves with a 5-0 win in the reverse fixture. Stoke Fleming & Strete’s home tie against Ashburton Reserves was abandoned by the referee after 15 minutes after a Stoke player was feared to have broken his leg; latest reports suggest the injury was not as severe as initially thought.

Download mp3