Paste your Google Webmaster Tools verification code here

SDFL 20th September 2014

Brian Doughty Guney Uven Waldon Athletic Newton Rovers SDFL Sport South Devon Herald Cup 2014

Brian Doughty of Waldon in possession, shadowed by Newton Rovers’ Guney Uven

A ruthless second half performance saw Waldon Athletic comfortably through into the second round of the Herald Cup as the Clarets put out Division Four leaders Newton Rovers 4-1 at Windmill Hill.

After a largely uneventful first 15 minutes, the Premier side edged ahead through Tom Ogilvy who bundled the ball over the line after Rovers ‘keeper Andy Lowe was unable to hold on to a shot from the edge of the box. The rest of the half was predictably played largely in the Rovers half, Brook Ward getting into some dangerous positions for Waldon, and hitting the side netting just after the half hour mark. Rovers’ best chances came shortly after, but Ant Smith’s shot lacked the power to beat Kitson Glanville, and Lee Fletcher blasted well over. But a combination of accomplished defending, particularly from Matt Turner and Jamie Mitchell, and missed chances helped Rovers to the break still in the game.

Waldon came out in the second half determined to kill the game off, with Rovers looking to hit them on the break. Waldon’s second came on 55 minutes, Ash Harris bursting forward and curling a shot past Lowe from the edge of the box. From then on, the result was hardly in doubt, but Matt Turner’s injury gave Waldon a further advantage. No sooner had Turner limped off Waldon were celebrating again, Josh Briscombe leaving the Rovers defence in his wake and driving in a shot from the right. Lowe kept it out but the ball made its way out to Ward who lashed it home on with an hour on the clock. Ward then turned provider on 78 minutes, sending in a pinpoint cross from the left to Harris who fired home his second.

Rovers had to wait until three minutes from the end for a consolation, Tom Carne netting from the penalty spot.

The big upset of the round came at the Western Roofing ground where Premier side Bovey Tracey Reserves crashed out 7-0 at home to Division Two outfit Ashburton. Buckfastleigh Rangers were also stunned at the Duckspond, Rangers going down 4-3 to Division Four opponents Meadowbrook Athletic.

But there was to be no giantkilling for Division Five leaders Torquay Town, Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves coasting to an 8-1 victory at the Rec. Dartmouth AFC also came good at Buckland & Milber, although the home side made a game of it, losing 2-1 in the end.

An own goal and strikes by Pike, McRoy and Robinson at Homers Heath saw last year’s runners-up through against Ipplepen Athletic, the team they despatched in last season’s second round.

Harbertonford are also into the second round after the only tie to go beyond 90 minutes ended in a penalty shoot-out. But Chudleigh’s impressive firepower deserted them from the spot, Athletic losing out 3-1. Finally, Division Three side Bishopsteignton United triumphed 3-1 at Division Two’s South Brent who still seek their first win.


There’s a familiar sight at the top of the Premier Division, Watcombe Wanderers taking over with a 4-1 win at Ivybridge Town Reserves. Curtis Booth scored twice with Mike Fieldhouse and Sean Finch also weighing in. A single goal at Loddiswell Athletic was enough for Kingskerswell & Chelston, who are yet to concede a goal, while Stoke Gabriel Reserves moved up to third with an impressive 4-0 win at Upton Athletic. Watts, Blake & Bearne’s enjoyed a 3-2 home derby win over Kingsteignton Athletic.

In Division One, Beesands Rovers go top as Teignmouth Reserves were unable to raise a side. A point at Stoke Gabriel Thirds was enough to move Buckland Athletic Thirds second, while Broadhempston United go third after hammering Babbacombe Corinthians 8-1.

In Division Two, the top two recorded wins and clean sheets, Foxhole United putting five past Waldon Athletic Reserves and Kingsteignton Athletic scoring two against Paignton Saints. Newton United go third with a 3-2 triumph at bottom place Totnes & Dartington Thirds, while Brixham Town got their first win of the season with a thumping victory at home to Hookhills United. Liam Halliday bagged half of town’s ten goals.

In Division Three, leaders Roselands, who are averaging six goals a game, defeated South Brent 7-0, while unbeaten Harbertonford Reserves buried nine at Teign Village. Watcombe Wanderers Reserves hit eight past Chudleigh Athletic Reserves with no reply, Liam Strong taking four for himself.

In Division Four, AFC Staverton and Riviera United moved joint top with wins. Stavy claimed an impressive three points at home to last year’s Division Five champs Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves. Adam Slater, James Dyer and Lee Clarke scored in a 3-2 win, with Matt Connell man of the match. Riviera United won 5-3 at home to Ilsington Villa, while Torbay Police left Bovey Tracey Thirds rock bottom with a huge 12-0 win. Newton Abbot 66 Reserves did well to hold Dittisham to a goalless draw at Shinners Meadow. Polonia Torbay started their game badly, home side Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves taking the lead, but just ten minutes later, Bart Karkau scored a lovely equaliser to make it all square at half time. Another great Karkau strike, on the hour mark, put Polonia ahead again and despite having their goalkeeper dismissed with 25 minutes left they came away with victory.

In Division Five, Luke Rhodes’ hat-trick helped Watcombe Wanderers Thirds to a 9-2 win at Newton Rovers Reserves, lifting them to the top of the table and the league goals scored charts. Ashburton Reserves edged Buckland & Milber Reserves 4-3, while Moretonhampstead secured back-to-back wins, defeating Broadhempston United Reserves 9-2. New side Broadmeadow were the last team to get their league season underway, and they bounced back from last week’s county cup defeat with a 5-0 home win over Stoke Fleming & Strete.

Download mp3