SDFL 14th February 2015

SDFL Sport South Devon
Gav Collins did everything but score for Buckland Athletic last weekend, but he made amends yesterday with two goals in a superb win over Peninsula side Holsworthy in the Throgmorton Premier Cup. Mark Sneap also scored for the Yellows who are now one step away from a second county cup final in three years. East Allington United’s tie with Exwick Villa was called off, but there was more good news for Ashburton who won 2-0 at Witheridge Reserves in the Firewatch Senior Cup quarter-final. Roselands will be the SDFL representatives in the last four of the Buddens Westinsure Devon Intermediate Cup after a 3-0 win at AFC Staverton.

Karl Baker was back in the side and back on the score-sheet for Premier Division leaders Dartmouth AFC who came away from Stoke Gabriel Reserves with three points, opening up a five point gap over East Allington. Baker and Liam McAuley scored two each in a 4-2 victory. The hotshots of Upton Athletic sank nine at Barton Cricket Club, against Ivybridge Town Reserves’ four, to move back into third. Ryan Hare scored four, Jamie Micklewright claimed a hat-trick and Lee Chamberlain and Ryan Little netted to put Athletic on 67 goals, 20 more than anyone else in the Premier. Defending Champions Watcombe Wanderers moved into the top six with six goals at Kingskerswell & Chelston; Dan Broadway put four away with Luke Worth and Royston Carrington also scoring. Kingsteignton Athletic couldn’t get the win they needed to lift them from the foot of the table, but they did earn their fifth point of the season with a decent 4-4 draw in the home derby with Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves who scored through Nick Edmunds (2), Andy Eden and Tom Barrett; defender Ryan Fawden saw red for Spurs.

In Division One, Beesands Rovers move back into the top three with an emphatic 6-1 success at Teignmouth Reserves, Rob Nibbles with three, Guy Watson with two and one for Tom Harvey. Broadhempston United brought Chudleigh Athletic’s five match winning run to an end, but not their goalscoring; the match at Headlands finished three apiece. Ipplepen Athletic close in on the top six with a 3-2 home win over Brixham AFC Reserves, Chris Srdinko, Les Joint and Lloyd Tucker with the goals. Babbacombe Corinthians stormed out of the bottom two with a narrow 5-4 victory at home to Newton Abbot 66; Dan Lawton added to his tally with Josh Haycox, Simon Lewcock, Tom Howard and Max Corderoy also among the goals.
Home advantage and an Alex Crook goal couldn’t prevent Kingskerswell & Chelston Reserves exiting the Dartmouth Cup at the hands of Division One leaders Paignton Villa, 2-1 the final score. Totnes & Dartington Reserves booked their place in the quarter-finals with a 6-2 win in their switched home tie against Division One basement side Buckfastleigh Rangers; Lewis Cox and David Mortimore hit Rangers’ consolations.

Division Two is starting to look a little like a two-horse race now as leaders Buckland & Milber scored two without reply against third place Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves courtesy of strikes from Dan Steer and Elliott Simson. There was a six goal thriller at the Denbury Playing Fields: Chris Harper and Tony Dyke found the net for Newton United, who also benefited from an own goal, but a point was the final outcome which did neither United nor visiting Brixham Town much good. Paignton Saints overcame Hookhills United 4-1, Josh Chase with a hat-trick and Jason Dingley with the remainder, and South Brent moved above United with a 2-0 win over Abbotskerswell. Harbertonford slammed Brixham AFC Third 10-1.

In Division Three, leaders Watcombe Wanderers Reserves started the second half of their season with a 13th straight win, beating Harbertonford Reserves 7-2 to go six points clear of Bishopsteignton United; Simon Ross and Rui de Garces claimed doubles with Bradley Lyon, Sam Edney and Lewis Bleir finding the net too. The Bishops went down 4-2 at East Allington United Reserves, Si Davis (2), Chris Jebb and supersub Dan Bowles with the Pirates’ goals. Salcombe Town held Upton Athletic Reserves to a 1-1 draw at the Berry; after a goalless first half, Luke Milton scored Town’s goal, but a handball, five minutes from time, gave Steve Rohan the opportunity to equalise. The last team to take points from Dartmouth AFC Reserves was Teign Village back in October, and the draw specialists denied Darts another two with a 1-1 tie at Longcross, Armitage with Dartmouth’s contribution. Waldon Athletic Thirds won the six-pointer at South Brent Reserves in a 5-2 victory that should have been more. Matty James scored twice, Lee Alvey and Tom Ogilvy chalked up singles and there was also an own goal for the Clarets.
The result left Ipplepen Athletic Reserves bottom, but the Pens did make the last eight of the Ronald Cup with a 4-1 victory at Chudleigh Athletic Reserves.

It’s as you were at the top of Division Four, with the top two both gaining maximum points. Leaders Riviera United enjoyed a 5-2 success at Paignton Villa Reserves while Liverton United Reserves sent Preston South End to a fourth straight defeat, winning 3-0 at Halford. Torbay Police followed up last week’s cup win by edging Newton Rovers 3-2 at Churston Grammar School and Dittisham United remembered how to keep clean sheets, recovering from their mini-slump with three second half goals at Ilsington Villa via Les Prestige (2) and Dan Bastin. Roselands Reserves crushed Newton Abbot 66 Reserves 9-1 for their third home win on the spin.
Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves kicked Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves out of the Les Bishop Cup with six goals and yet another clean sheet; Ryan Porter added three to his tally and Glen Palmer, Brett Easterbrook and Declan Cowley also found the net.

In Division Five, the top of the table clash between Broadmeadow and Watcombe Wanderers Thirds lived up to its billing, but no-one would have foreseen that at the start when Watcombe went 2-0 up in the first two minutes. Broads were understandably shell-shocked and Watcombe threatened to overwhelm them but slowly the home side cleared their heads, storming back into the game when Carl Woolnough squared to Andy Espley to tap in from close range. Woolnough again delivered for Todd Ballman to volley an equaliser but Watcombe then regained the lead with a stunning strike. However, the game got the climax it deserved when Ballman slid Espley in to equalise with five minutes to go, the game finishing 3-3. The result meant that third placed Barton Athletic chipped away at the lead enjoyed by the top two, a 4-0 win over Broadhempston United Reserves moving them to within four points of Broads, Kriss Darke, Joe Edworthy, Neil Thomas and Lee Sizer bagging one apiece. Torquay Town secured back-to-back league wins with a 6-1 triumph at Bakers Park, home of fellow newcomers Newton Rovers Reserves. Ashburton Reserves’ narrow 4-3 home victory over Malborough United keeps them five points ahead of Kingsbridge & Kellaton United who also won, 4-1 at home to Paignton Saints; Elliot Bradbury notched a hat-trick with Lee Robey also on target for Kingsbridge. Buckland & Milber Reserves left Stoke Fleming & Strete back at the bottom of the pile with a 4-0 away victory, Ryan Duke with a brace and Matt Winsor and Dan Ashworth completing the rout.

Download mp3