Paste your Google Webmaster Tools verification code here

SDFL 13th September 2014

stoke gabriel watts blake and bearne sdfl sport south devon lee elmore chris hill

Lee Elmore (WBB) and Chris Hill (Stoke) compete at Broadley Lane. (c)

Stoke Gabriel Reserves got off the mark in one of three SDFL Premier ties with a 2-1 home win over Watts, Blake & Bearne.

Jake Moore’s fourth minute opener settled the home side’s nerves – and what a strike it was, blasted high into the top left corner from the right hand side of the box. WBB’s best chance for an equaliser came around the 25th minute, striker Josh Moore taking the ball past Kernius Zakaras in the Stoke goal but being denied by some last-ditch defending. Moments later, Zakaras’s clearance rebounded against a WBB player but his defenders came to the rescue again. Skipper Dan Easton then nearly made it two, Matt Bojar tipping his drive over the top, before Luke Johnson’s swerving strike from outside the box did double the score in the 34th minute.

In a second half punctuated by frequent stoppages, WBB looked to have lost their chance of a comeback when Craig Derrick was dismissed for raising his hands against an opponent after receiving a crunching tackle midway through the second half. But the red card seemed only to galvanise the Claymen who pulled one back after Chris Srdinko muscled his way into the box and blasted home. But despite lenty of energy from the visitors, Stoke dug in to secure the win.

“The boys battled hard and we took our chances,” said Stoke manager James Hannaford after the match, while WBB player-manager Dave Purse admitted there was room for improvement.

“We’ve got a lot of new players and it showed against quite an organised team,” he said. “We were better in the second half and got at them with a sense of purpose. we’ll take the positives.”

Upton Athletic move top of the Premier Division following the odd goal in five at home to Newton Abbot Spurs who suffered their first defeat.
Dartmouth AFC added three points to last week’s promising opener with a 5-2 win at Ivybridge Town Reserves, their opponents’ first home game of the season. Karl Baker netted a hat-trick with Dan Broadway contributing two.

In Division One’s only match, the points were shared as Paignton Villa and Chudleigh Athletic drew 1-1 at Churston Grammar School.

In Division Two, Buckland & Milber hit the ground running with am 8-0 thumping of Brixham AFC Thirds, Cory Brennan with a hat-trick.

In Division Three, Roselands climbed to the top with three wins out of three, defeating Bishopsteignton United 3-2 away. Unbeaten Harbertonford Reserves also scored three, beating Upton Athletic Reserves 3-1 at The Hams. Luke Robey popped up with the winner for East Allington United Reserves at South Brent Reserves, Chris Jebb (2) and Kris Attiwell were also on target for the Pirates. Watcombe Wanderers Reserves finally played their first match of the campaign, five scorers coming up with five goals in a 5-2 home win over Teign Village who endured successive defeats. Curtis Booth, Liam Strong, Johnathon Carter, Cieran Bridger and Simon Ross found the net.

In Division Four, leaders Newton Rovers maintained their strong start with seven goals against winless Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves, while Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves went second with a 9-1 win at bottom club Bovey Tracey Thirds, Ryan Porter scoring three. Dittisham United enjoyed the deja vu feeling of consecutive 4-0 away wins, point-less Roselands Reserves on the receiving end this week. AFC Staverton are also yet to drop points or concede a goal, Jon Parsons’ winner with two minutes to go enough to beat Liverton United Reserves. Riviera United got back to winning ways with a 3-2 home victory against winless Paignton Villa Reserves.

In Division Five, Torquay Town’s perfect start to the season continued as the newcomers recorded a 6-2 home win over Buckland & Milber Reserves. Ashburton Reserves take second spot with a 6-0 triumph over Kingsbridge & Kellaton United. Unbeaten Watcombe Wanderers Thirds hammered Broadhempston United Reserves 9-0 at the King George V to head the division’s goals scored table, while Malborough United secured a first win, 3-2 at Paignton Saints Reserves.

Premier Cup holders Watcombe Wanderers are through to the First Round, but Kingskerswell & Chelston ran them close, coming back from two down, the second a re-taken penalty, to force extra-time. But Sean Finch struck the decider for Wanderers who join East Allington United and Buckland Athletic Reserves in the next round hat. United won 2-1 at Bradworthy, while Bucks enjoyed a comfortable 4-0 win at Barnstaple.

In the Senior Cup First Round, there were two all-SDFL ties. Division Two side Brixham Town came close to causing an upset, battling back from behind three times against Division One outfit Broadhempston United. But a Liam Halliday brace and an own goal proved not quite enough to take them through in a thrilling cup tie which finished 4-3 to Broads. Things were more one-sided at Coombe Valley as Beesands Rovers slammed six past Teignmouth Reserves with no reply. Also through from the SDFL are Newton Abbot 66, Buckfastleigh Rangers, Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves, Stoke Gabriel Thirds, Paignton Saints, Foxhole United, Newton United and Buckland Athletic Third.

In the Intermediate Cup, Dartmouth AFC Reserves put out league new boys Broadmeadow, winning 2-1 at Longcross. Newton Abbot 66 Reserves won 5-1 away at Torbay Police and join Meadowbrook Athletic in the Second Round, Athletic with a decent 3-1 triumph at Preston South End.

Download mp3