Premier Cup Ties go to the Wire (Local Football Round-Up)

teignmouth exeter university throgmorton devon premier cup 2014 sport south devon

Premier Cup Ties go to the Wire (Local Football Round-Up)

Picture (c) MiraclePR

All three Throgmorton Devon Premier Cup Round Three ties involving South Devon clubs were decided from 12 yards – at least they would have been had the referee not abandoned Newton Abbot Spurs’ match away at Seaton due to failing light.

Teignmouth (pictured) faced a tougher test at Budleigh Salterton than they had done in their recent league encounter. The visitors found themselves unable to cope with the wind in the first half and duly went three down by half-time. After the break the tables turned dramatically, with goals from Lance Clark (penalty), Matt Eves and Ryan Bush winning dominant Teigns an extra thirty minutes play. Teigns couldn’t find a fourth in extra-time but were the better side from the spot and go through to meet North Devon Premier high-fliers Braunton at Coombe Valley in February.

Galmpton United hosted SDFL Premier champions Buckland Athletic Reserves at the War Memorial Ground in their last 16 clash. The Greens took a two goal lead with goals from Matt Bardwell and former Buckland midfielder Darren Vicary but that was as good as the afternoon was going to get for them. Gave Collins and Nick Hayman found the net to secure extra time for Neil Snell and Lee Chapman’s side and the Yellows continued their club’s good record in shoot-outs with a 3-1 triumph. Chapman was one of the penalty scorers, joined by Shane Shobbrook and Sam Peardon, but Jamie Bradley was also instrumental with two saves. Bucks aim for consecutive semi-finals but will have to overcome Elmore away first. The Devon & Exeter side are yet to lose at home in the league and have the best defensive record in their division.

Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves are starting early at Seaton today in an effort to avoid last week’s debacle. A penalty from player-manager Adam Dyson, and a goal from Carl Bradley earned Spurs extra-time against their Devon & Exeter hosts, but after consultation with the referee both managers agreed that it would be unfair for a team to go out on penalties given the failing light and horrendous wind. The winner of today’s replay will host Plymouth Marjon for a semi-final place. Peninsula Division East side Appledore’s home tie with Plymouth & West outfit Roborough complete the quarter-final line-ups.

Buckland Athletic firsts are also on the trophy trail today. They host fellow Western League side Bradford Town in the FA Vase after picking up four league points in the last seven days. Last Saturday, the Yellows comfortably defeated bottom side Welton Rovers 4-1 at Homers Heath to lift themselves back into the top three. In a blistering start, Jared Lewington took full advantage of poor defending to head an opener on 9 minutes and then finish off another free header four minutes later. Welton rallied themselves after this, but any hopes of reducing the deficit were swept away as left-back Lewis Perring surged down the wing and cracked home a third on 28 minutes and, one minute later, Lewington secured his hat-trick with a powerful strike that hit the post and went in. Anthony Conradi restored some pride in the 32nd minute, pressurising the Buckland defence to force what was to be a consolation goal only. To their credit, Welton came out a transformed side after the break and prevented any further goals.

Tuesday’s match saw Buckland travel to Street with both sides locked together on 35 points and the Somerset side the only side to win at Homers Heath this season. Buckland scored first, on the quarter-hour mark, Lewington once more on the score-sheet after good work in the box, but that was undone on 17 minutes as Liam Head’s defensive clearance beat Grant Fisher to pull Street level. The Yellows scored again, from the spot, after Liam Moseley was upended. Lloyd Gardner did the business on 40 minutes for his ninth of the season and Bucks went in 2-1 up. But the second half was to prove disappointing; first, Jared Lewington was red-carded for a bad challenge and then, with the game petering out, Tom Clifford-Jones popped up with a late equaliser. Bucks are hoping to bounce back by reaching the last 32 of the FA Vase for the first time in their history and, with Torquay’s FA Trophy tie against Chesham moved to tomorrow, Buckland will hope some Gulls fans will support them.

In the Peninsula Premier Division, Stoke Gabriel finally enjoyed their third win of the season with a home victory over Cullompton Rangers. Marcus Fanson opened the scoring for the visitors on 7 minutes, lobbing Nathan Murphy, but Stoke had the best of the first half and, but for numerous top saves from Nathan Whatley, would have scored more than the one that brought them level on 37 minutes. Ollie Booth put in a low cross and Stuart Bowker let it run through to Liam Jones who hit a fine shot past Whatley. Stoke, and particularly Bowker, continued to test the visiting goalkeeper but it was Ollie Critchlow who finally put the Railwaymen ahead with a header from Jake White’s cross on 73 minutes. But it seemed that Stoke were determined to make life hard for themselves as, two minutes later, Tallan Burns got on the end of a Fanson cross, took the ball around Murphy and equalised. But Stoke finally claimed the three points when a Robbie Bowker free-kick was controlled and finished by Frazer Clark on 86 minutes.

In the Peninsula League Division One East, Bovey Tracey travelled to Crediton with the goal of drawing level on points with their hosts and climbing up the table. Things were going well for the Moorlanders when, on 15 minutes, an attempted clearance rebounded off the Bovey striker and found the net. Five minutes later though, Crediton equalised, Steve Morish finding Perry Carpenter who finished across the goalkeeper. Despite plenty of home pressure, Bovey restored their lead on 31 minutes, capitalising on a defensive error to clear home custodian Lee Waring and find the net. Bovey stretched further ahead nine minutes later with a bending long-range effort to put them 3-1 up at half-time. Five minutes after the break, Richard Blake struck from six yards to narrow the deficit, and then Blake found a deserved equaliser on 71 minutes, firing home from inside the box. Alex Bowden had been provider for both goals and he was rewarded by clinching the winner, powering home a cross by substitute Ben Pike with five minutes remaining.

There was also disappointment for Brixham AFC and Liverton United. Brixham went down 2-0 at leaders St Martins while the Lillies crashed 3-0 at home to Sidmouth. Cameron Vere gave the Vikings a 15 minute lead with a long-range strike found the home ‘keeper out of position and on 30 minutes a stunning run and cool finish from the same player gave Liverton a mountain to climb, although they did hit the post before the interval. Ashley Small wrapped things up on 65 minutes to ensure Liverton left empty-handed.

In the SDFL Premier Division, Watcombe Wanderers took their opportunity to stretch further ahead of Buckland, Sean Finch with the sole goal at King George V as the Greens defeated Kingsteignton Athletic. Unbeaten Dartmouth AFC slammed Brixham AFC Reserves 5-1 away to move two points behind Buckland with a game in hand. Upton Athletic’s 2-1 win at Ivybridge Town Reserves helped East Allington United to move up to fourth with a 2-1 victory at Waldon Athletic, Tom Harvey and Tom Rowdon with the Pirates’ goals. Stoke Gabriel Reserves bagged their second win of the season, 1-0, to leave hosts Loddiswell Athletic still searching for their first. Kingskerswell & Chelston became the last SDFL side to win a game, upsetting Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves 2-1 at The Rec.

Chudleigh Athletic stay top in Division One after winning 4-2 at Totnes & Dartington Reserves. Ipplepen Athletic took another step back towards the Premier Division with a 3-1 home win over Bovey Tracey Reserves which moved them second. Buckland Athletic Thirds put two past Buckland & Milber to move up to third. Chatfield’s goal heaped more misery on on Beesands Rovers, last year’s Herald Cup runners-up losing out 1-0 at Stoke Gabriel Thirds. Kingskerswell & Chelston Reserves sank to a new low with an 8-0 humbling at home to Babbacombe Corinthians. Corries’ goals came from Josh Haycox, Curtis Marshal (two apiece), Callum Crews, Lloyd Heavens, Tom Howard and Casey Roberts. Bottom side Kerswell have now failed to score in the last three.

In Division Two, third-placed Harbertonford dropped off the pace after Newton United surprised them at Denbury Playing Fields. Jamie Lock scored twice in a 2-1 victory to end United’s run of three defeats. Brixham Town bounced back from cup defeat by resuming their current run of form; the home side enjoyed a 5-1 success against bottom side South Brent. Elsewhere, Kingsteignton Athletic, Teignmouth Reserves and Hookhills United also picked up wins.

In Division Three, Liverton United Reserves maintained their perfect start by winning 3-1 away at Upton Athletic Reserves; the Lillies are now one of only two teams who have yet to drop a point. AFC Staverton are now nine points behind after they went down 3-2 at Harbertonford Reserves. Torbay Police are unable to buy a win at the moment and were held 4-4 at Salcombe Town this week. A 1-1 draw did little to help either Chudleigh Athletic Reserves or Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves climb from the lower reaches of the table. At the bottom, Dittisham United suffered an ominous 5-1 defeat at the hands of Waldon Athletic Thirds who now put three points between them.

In Division Four, Barton Athletic made a swift return to the top of the table, vaulting leaders Broadmeadow by beating them 4-2 at Barton Downs. Kieron Scott and Ben Stones finally won Ashburton Reserves their first three points of the campaign; they won 2-0 at Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves to move level on points with their hosts. There were also home wins for Kingsbridge & Kellaton United, 2-1 over Torquay Town, and Paignton Villa Reserves, 4-2 over Newton Abbot ’66 Reserves.

In Division Five, Newton United reserves are now unbeaten in three as they ended the 100 per cent record of hosts Broadhempston United Reserves, drawing 2-2 with the leaders. Torbay Police Reserves didn’t play but Riviera United Reserves hung on to third spot with a 1-1 draw with Barton Athletic Reserves. Buckland & Milber Reserves sit a point behind; they stretched their winning run to six by beating Watts, Blake & Bearne AFC 3-1 away. Moretonhampstead racked up back-to-back away wins, a 5-1 triumph at Newton Rovers Reserves enough to put them top of the division’s goals chart. Paignton Sints Reserves moved into the top six with a 6-2 home triumph over bottom side Chudleigh Athletic Thirds. Two sides in freefall had a chance to halt the slide, and hosts Stoke Fleming & Strete took theirs with a narrow 3-2 win over Malborough United. Stoke brought a run of four losses to an end, moving above United who have now lost six in a row in all competitions.

Two SDFL sides were guaranteed quarter-final places in the Firewatch Devon Senior Cup, and those slots went to Ashburton and Roselands. The Ashes saw off Buckfastleigh Rangers 4-1 while Roselands beat Paignton rivals Foxhole United 5-1. Newton Abbot ’66 couldn’t join their SDFL neighbours as they crashed out 6-1 at Millbridge Reserves.

Dartmouth AFC Reserves and Watcombe Wanderers Thirds will contest the area final of the A&S Paving Devon Intermediate Cup. Darts won 3-1 away at rivals East Allington United Reserves, while Watcombe edged Riviera United 3-2.

Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon