SWPL 13th December 2014

TeignsBadgeTeigns Edge Nine Goal Thriller at Simmons Park

Match report by Martin Jones

 Teignmouth closed the gap on table toppers Galmpton to one point by winning this nine goal thriller at Okehampton’s Simmons park.

The home side opened the scoring after 30 seconds when Jason Cordyce fired a shot past Teigns ‘keeper Liam Jones. The visitors levelled six minutes later; Geoff Breslan’s delightful pass was well-controlled and tucked past the home ‘keeper by Finn Graham; then Sam Chapman put Teigns ahead in the 12th minute. Seeing his first shot charged down, Chapman collected the loose ball and lashed a drive into the roof of the net from 20 yards. A good save from Jones, a minute later, prevented Okey equalising and Teigns extended their lead in the 23rd minute; Ryan Bush flicked on Geoff Breslan’s pass to Chapman who drilled in Teigns third from 20 yards.

 Teigns were good value for their 3-1 half-time lead and Chapman should have grabbed his hat-trick, and Teigns fourth, three minutes after the restart but blazed Matt Eves’ pass over the bar. Okey got back into the game a minute later when Toby Gostling’s 40-yard lob found the back of the net. Graham put Teigns 4-2 up, heading home Bush’s cross in the 63rd minute, and Bush made the score 5-2 five minutes later, supplying the finish to Chapman’s cross. But a minute later, Cordyce stabbed home, after Jones had spilled a long shot, and Dale Chadwick ensured a frantic remaining five minutes of the game when he converted a penalty to bring Okey within a goal of Teigns who held on to claim all three points.

 This coming Saturday Teigns are without a fixture and are next in action when they visit Exminster based St Martin’s on Saturday 27th Dec. Kick off 2.15pm

FT: Okehampton Argyle 4 – 5 Teignmouth

imagesRare Chisholm Brace Lifts Spurs Off Foot of Table

Match report by Newton Abbot Spurs

Newton Abbot Spurs recorded a long overdue win, their first league points since October 4th, to climb off the foot of the East Division table.

Manager Adam Dyson provided his men with another change of formation, this time opting for a 5-3-2 with Gary Fisher joining regular centre-backs Chris Metters and Kevin Dadd while there was a debut in goal for Lewis O Neill.

On a sunny but cold winter’s day at the Rec, Spurs started brightly and would go on to dominate long periods of the game. It was visitors Crediton, however, that had the first shot at goal but Richard Blake could only shoot at O’Neill after just two minutes. Spurs were to create a chance of their own just a minute later, Shaun Bowden curling over from twenty yards after Mark Brooke’s cross had been headed clear. Adam Dyson was to miss a gilt-edged chance for Spurs after 16 minutes after running from the halfway line but Creddy keeper Nathan Keast thwarted the Spurs player/manager as he tried to round him. Eight minutes later Dyson was denied again, this time as a result of wayward shooting as he found the side net when well placed. The visitors were to give Spurs a gentle reminder that they were by no means being overawed by the Spurs dominance: on 27 minutes, an Adam Bilcock shot was spilled by O’Neill but Kenny Ord could only shoot over when a goal seemed to be on the cards. Matt Woodward was to fire a long-range effort narrowly wide a minute later as Creddy looked to assert some pressure on the home defence. Spurs’ Carl Bradley, a dominating figure throughout the game, was to be denied twice by Keast after a long run before Spurs took the lead on 43 minutes after a fine move. Neat passes from Joe Andrews and Bradley found Dyson’s run into the box; as the defenders looked to close Dyson’s path to goal, the striker smartly flicked the ball behind him to Tom Sercombe who placed an effort past Keast to give the home side a deserved lead.

Keast would keep his side in the game on 49 minutes, saving well at his near-post from Sercombe after he had chested down Dadd’s free kick. The visitors would find a way back into the game on 53 minutes in fortuitous circumstances. There appeared to be no danger to Spurs when Ben Pike collected the ball on Spurs’ right; but his cross-cum-shot evaded everyone and the nervous looking debutant O Neill could only watch the ball sail over his head and into the top corner. With the recent poor form and lack of confidence, many would have expected Spurs to fold; however, the equaliser would only galvanise them. On the hour mark, Carl Bradley would be thwarted again by Keast after an excellent run but, from the resulting corner, Spurs got their noses in front. Andrews’ corner was headed out to the edge of the box where Spurs’ Jake Chisholm, not known for his goalscoring exploits, fired a volley straight past the oncoming defenders and into the top corner of Keast’s net. Chisholm’s goalscoring exploits could be likened to the proverbial bus – wait ages for one (15 months) and then two come along at once as he doubled his tally for the day just three minutes later. Bradley once again played a part in the goal, his cross headed down by Shaun Bowden and Chisholm stooping to head home from four yards out to all but seal a precious three points for Spurs. Crediton threw players forward in an attempt to reduce the arrears but found Dadd and Metters in fine form as Spurs saw out the final 25 minutes with no worries to climb two places and up to 16th place.

Next week, Spurs travel to a St Martin’s side who have adapted to life in the Peninsula League very well. A tough game will await Dyson and his players but after this long awaited win, maybe the confidence will be flowing back to Spurs.

FT: Newton Abbot Spurs 3 – 1 Crediton United

More detailed reports and team info to come from the other South Devon Peninsula sides, but in the meantime, here is the round-up adapted from the League website at www.swpleague.co.uk

 Premier Division:

With Cup games, a Friday night match and a postponement at Witheridge v St Austell there were just five Premier matches today but sides in action did include the top two. Leaders Ivybridge Town put another 3 points in the bank with a 7-2 win at home to St Blazey and the Ivys remain two points ahead of Saltash United who carried on their good run with a 2-1 win away at Exmouth Town, who lost their run of four games without defeat or a goal scored against them. Elsewhere Falmouth Town climbed a place to 16th as they beat bottom side Bovey Tracey 3-0 at Bickland Park.

Division One East:

With leaders Galmpton United on cup duty, the chasing pack had the chance to close the gap and five sides indeed took full advantage. Teignmouth in 2nd moved to within a point of the leaders whilst Brixham AFC climbed to 4th, above the University of Exeter who were on cup duty. Brixham had a 5-1 home success over Budleigh Salterton at Wall Park Road. Tavistock remain 6th but closed the gap with a 3-0 home win over Liverton United and, likewise, St Martin’s remain 7th but they had a win with a 3-2 scoreline away at Totnes & Dartington.

Download mp3