Paste your Google Webmaster Tools verification code here

Harrity and Waldon Ensure Upton Belli Final Rematch – Local Football Round-Up Part 3/3

Apr 12, 16 Harrity and Waldon Ensure Upton Belli Final Rematch – Local Football Round-Up Part 3/3

Just eight days after their historic Herald Cup final victory, Waldon Athletic booked a second cup final place by beating hosts Dartmouth AFC 2-1 after extra-time in the George Belli Cup. In an entertaining encounter, Waldon took a deserved lead in the second half through Spike Bond who burst into the box before firing a low shot past Ryan Walton. Darts then had a good spell and drew level when Josh Webber beat Kitson Glanville to a cross to head home. Waldon’s Herald Cup hero Chris Harrity once again found the decisive goal, blasting home from just inside the box in extra-time, but Claret hearts were in mouths when a rash challenge by Jordan Piercy led to a late Dartmouth penalty. Glanville pulled off a fine save to deny Josh Webber and see Waldon through. This means that for the second year running, Belli Cup holders Waldon will face Torquay rivals Upton Athletic who dumped a weakened Buckland Athletic Reserves out of the competition 2-0 at Forches Cross.

In the Premier League, Ivybridge Town Reserves closed the gap on fifth-placed Brixham AFC Reserves by beating the Fishermen 3-1 at Erme Park. Kingskerswell & Chelston went four unbeaten by holding fourth-placed East Allington United 0-0 away at Poole Lane. Kingsteignton Athletic’s fine March form shows no sign of ending as they defeated Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves 5-0 to move three points clear of their local rivals. Bottom side Loddiswell Athletic enjoyed back-to-back wins for the first time this season, scoring three without reply at Stoke Gabriel Reserves.

Ashburton cruised into another divisional cup final with a surprise 6-0 hammering of Buckland Athletic Thirds in the Dartmouth Cup; Damien Frances Furnivall added to his tally with a hat-trick while Moore, Clifford and Taylor joined him on the score-sheet. Newton Abbot ’66 will be the Ashes’ opponents after they defeated Chudleigh Athletic 3-0 at Osborne Park.

Ipplepen Athletic are on course for a return to the Premier after moving to the top of the Division One table by defeating Buckland & Milber 3-0 away. Bovey Tracey Reserves’ up-and-down spell continued as they won 2-0 at home to Kingskerswell & Chelston Reserves. Beesands Rovers picked up another three points to move into the top six, Luke Broad and Danny Tucker with the Bees’ goals in a 2-1 win at Babbacombe Corinthians who found the net through Curtis Marshall. Stoke Gabriel Thirds celebrated successive away wins with a narrow 2-1 victory at Paignton Villa, James Horn and Ash Beetschen netting.

Lidstone Cup holders Harbertonford pulled off probably the result of the day by coming back from two down away at Roselands to knock their hosts out 3-2. They will seek to defend their trophy against Ronald Cup runners-up Watcombe Wanderers Reserves who knocked Teignmouth Reserves out 6-2 at the King George V.

In Division Two, Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves continued their fine run by beating lowly Newton United 4-1 away, Sean Winsor with United’s consolation. Bishopsteignton United followed up last week’s shock win against leaders Roselands with a 3-2 triumph at Brixham Town. Things seem to be going from bad to worse for Abbotskerswell who crashed 11-0 at home to Buckfastleigh Rangers. Waldon Athletic Reserves are now bottom following the withdrawal of South Brent from the league. The Clarets lost out 1-0 at home to Paignton Saints who picked up their third win of the campaign thanks to Jamie Ford’s effort.

The winners of next week’s Ronald Cup semi-final between Dartmouth AFC Reserves and Upton Athletic Reserves will face Liverton United Reserves. The prolific Nicholas Garrett scored again to help the Lillies earn extra-time at Teign Village. With no further goals in open play, the match went to penalties with Liverton winning 4-2.

In Division Three, goal-happy leaders Salcombe Town put away another eight as they defeated Chudleigh Athletic Reserves 8-1 away. Ashley Yeoman scored an incredible seven goals with Jordan Bartlett the other Town goalscorer. Main challengers Dartmouth AFC Reserves kept up the pressure with a comfortable 4-0 success at Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves, goals provided by Scott McRoy, Robbie Chalk, Cameron Webb and Joe Kirby. AFC Staverton moved level with third-placed Liverton with a 4-1 triumph over Torbay Police. Harbertonford Reserves were merciless as they trounced bottom side Dittisham United 8-0 at The Hams. Upton Athletic Reserves inflicted East Allington United Reserves’ first defeat since February with a 3-1 win at Cricketfield Road.

Newton Rovers booked their place in the Les Bishop Cup final with a sound 3-0 home win over Ashburton Reserves. The other semi-final, between Barton Athletic and Broadmeadow, went to extra-time and then penalties with Broadmeadow squeezing through 4-3 on spot-kicks.

In Division Four, Watcombe Wanderers Thirds moved up to second, nine points behind Roselands Reserves with four games in hand, after beating Riviera United 6-2. Stephen Rohan scored a double with the other goals coming from Scott MacKay, Adam Townsend, Samuel Pyne and Konor Styles. Paignton Villa Reserves enjoyed a 4-1 triumph over Kingsbridge & Kellaton United, making up for their loss to the South Hams side back in November. Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves are running out of games to save their season. Goals from Darren Garwood and Jo McFarland were not enough to prevent Ilsington Villa from doing the double over their hosts and moving off the bottom and above Corries on goal difference.

Newton United Reserves made it to the Bill Treeby Cup final by upsetting division leaders Moretonhampstead with a 4-1 win at Wadley Brook. They will meet Torbay Police Reserves who won 3-1 against Buckland & Milber Reserves at Churston Grammar School, the visitors scoring through Danny Harry.

Broadhempston United Reserves got the upper hand in an 11 goal thriller at home to Paignton Saints Reserves, Broads eventually winning 6-5 to move back up to third; Mark Ede and Aaron Underhill scored twice for Saints with Paul Green also on target. Watts, Blake & Bearne AFC brought to an end a four game losing streak to edge Stoke Fleming & Strete 2-1. With Malborough United collecting a point in a 2-2 home draw with Barton Athletic Reserves (Alvey and Bastow on target for Athletic), Chudleigh Athletic Thirds, who were comprehensively routed 7-1 by visiting Newton Rovers Reserves, once again found themselves back at the foot of the league.

468 ad

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Download mp3