Golden Chances Missed By United

torquay united gulls sport south devon

Golden Chances Missed By United

This was another game of missed opportunities for United, as the trap door opened even wider with the Gulls losing 1-0 to Dagenham & Redbridge.

The only goal of the game came from the penalty spot after 67 minutes. Dagenham’s Medy Elito was fouled by United’s right back Dale Tonge and the Daggers player picked himself up and slotted the ball high to Martin Rice’s left hand side. 

Most of the game Torquay where on top. A strong first half performance should have resulted in the Gulls going into the break at least two goals to the good, with Krystian Pearce and Shaquile Coulthirst having golden opportunities to break the deadlock. 

First Pearce should have knocked the ball into the net from just inside the 6 yard box after only 4 minutes. The ball fell to the popular centre back from a free kick swung in from Cameron. It has to be said it looked harder to miss as the United player found himself unmarked with the ball at his feet, after his original effort had been saved by the keeper. Had Pearce pushed the ball either side of the keeper on the rebound, it would have given Torquay the lead. 

Coulthirst chance was not so clear cut but still a good chance to relieve the pressure on the United team after 29 minutes.

Some good work from Cameron on the right wing, following his own corner that had found it’s way back out to the edge of the box, gave United’s Ben Harding the chance to place a great cross to the far post, where an unmarked Coulthirst could only find the hands of Dagenham’s keeper and another excellent chance had gone begging. 

United Captain Lee Mansell also saw a well struck free kick 10 minutes before the break go inches wide of the Daggers goal from just outside the box. Some of the United faithful thought the ball had hit the back of the net but there excitement was short lived. 

The second half followed the same pattern as the first with United creating some half chances, Pearce again going close on a couple of occasions, while Elliot Benyon also had a chance in the final minutes to rescue a point for the Gulls but as with the first half, these chance came and went.

The Daggers should have put any hope of a United equaliser in the 90th minute, when Chris Dickson was sent clean through with only Rice to beat. The United keeper did well to stay on his feet and time his dive well at the feet of the Dagenham player to keep the score at 1-0.

United now have to travel to local rivals Exeter City and produce a victory and hope that other results go their way, if they have any chance of avoiding the Conference next season.

TUFC: Rice, Tonge (Yeoman 70), Cargill, Pearce, O’Connor, Bodin (Stevens 39), Harding, Mansell (Capt), Cameron (Chapell 70), Coulthirst, Benyon

Subs Not Used: Poke, Downes, Lathrope, Craig

DRFC: Lewington, Hoyte, Iiesanmi, Bingham, Saah, Gayle, Ogogo, Howell, Elito (D’Ath 85), Norris (Dickson 89), Azeez (Turgott 68)

Subs Not Used: Seabright, Wilkinson, Saunders, Connors

Bookings: Saah, Elito, Turgott

Attendance: 2,425 ( 113 Away) 

Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon