Clarets and Spurs Make Herald Semis: Local Football RoundUp

brixham afc reserves ivybridge town reserves sdfl 2015 sport south devon

Clarets and Spurs Make Herald Semis: Local Football RoundUp

The Peninsula Division One East and SDFL stuttered back into some sort of action last Saturday, but there were still plenty of casualties due to the weather.

Galmpton United got their new year off to a great start by moving into the top six. The Greens defeated the University of Exeter 3-1 at the War Memorial Ground thanks to goals from Broadway, Gaze and Rankin. Brixham AFC also scored three but were held to a draw at Wall Park by Alphington.

A waterlogged Cricketfield Road meant that the Herald Cup quarter-final between Premier sides Upton Athletic and Buckland Athletic Reserves remains to be played, while Brixham AFC Reserves’ home clash with Roselands was also called off. Half of the semi-finals were resolved though, with Belli Cup holders Waldon Athletic narrowly beating Division One outfit Foxhole United 2-1 and two extra-time strikes seeing Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves through against East Allington United. Spurs had taken the half-time lead but the returning Si Hannaford earned the Pirates their extra 30 minutes. Andy Eden struck twice for the hosts and Darren Sowerby netted the other.

The action was all at the bottom of the table in the Premier Division, and despite going down 2-1 at Stoke Gabriel Reserves, Kingskerswell & Chelston moved off the foot of the table as Loddiswell Athletic suffered a heavy 7-2 loss at Ivybridge Town Reserves. The Erme Park side scored through Rowe, who netted a hat-trick, and braces apiece for Norrie and Hayman.

In Division One, Stoke Gabriel Thirds enjoyed a 5-2 success against visitors Kingskerswell & Chelston Reserves while rampant Totnes & Dartington Reserves won 4-0 away at Buckland & Milber.

In Division Two, Teignmouth Reserves extended their winning run to three games, making up for their home loss against Harbertonford in November with a comfortable 6-1 victory at The Hams. After a five week break, Paignton Saints battled hard for a share of the spoils at Brixham Town after playing 60 minutes with ten men. Things started well for the visitors and thanks to goals from Aaron Underhill and Shaun Cotton they were two up before Matt Reed’s 30th minute dismissal. Brixham got a goal back before half-time and, despite a Saints reshuffle, equalised and then edged ahead. But with time running out, a long throw in and a flick on from Mike Howes fell to Cotton who scored his second and earned Saints a valuable point. Elsewhere, Newton United hammered South Brent 6-1, Jordan Ewing and Dave Crowhurst with doubles.

In Division Three, Dartmouth AFC Reserves moved above Salcombe Town into second by beating their South Hams neighbours 7-2. Josh Webber and James Lee managed doubles with the remainder supplied by Kevin Causley, Rhys Morrallee and Nick Rushe. Darts are now five points behind leaders Liverton United Reserves with a game in hand. A last minute goal from Jake Langman rescued a point for East Allington United Reserves away at Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves. Rob Bigwood and Si Davis scored the visitors’ other two. AFC Staverton and Upton Athletic Reserves both won 2-0 away, against Ipplepen Athletic Reserves and Waldon Athletic Thirds respectively, while Harbertonford Reserves’ 3-0 win at Dittisham United leaves the Plums still winless.

In Division Four, Barton Athletic slumped to another defeat, losing out 2-1 at Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves, while Broadmeadow squeezed past Riviera United 3-2 and Watcombe Wanderers Reserves defeated Newton Rovers 6-2 at home.

Moretonhampstead took over at the top of Division Five with a solid 8-3 triumph over Watts, Blake & Bearne AFC. Paignton Saints Reserves battled well at Clennon Valley and were unlucky not to get a point as Newton United nicked all three inside the last ten minutes. Goals from Luke Pocknell and Sean Paul Hooton were almost enough but strikes from Rumberlow, Swann and Bradford won the points for the visitors. Stoke Fleming & Strete picked up where they left off at the end of 2015 with a third win on the bounce, 4-2 away at Malborough United.

Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon