Bucks Advance on Two Cup Fronts (Local Football Round-up)

FA Vase Logo

Bucks Advance on Two Cup Fronts (Local Football Round-up)

Buckland Athletic would probably not have chosen an away trip to defending champions Melksham Town just three days after a cup quarter-final (including extra-time and penalties), but morale should be high. The Yellows followed up an extra-time victory in the FA Vase Second Round, against 2014 winners Sholing, with a penalty shoot-out win against Stoke Gabriel in the Devon St Luke’s Bowl to make the semi-finals.
Grant Fisher, Si Laughton, Dan Griffiths and Jared Lewington will return to the line-up for the tough league encounter, providing some fresh legs to counter the effects of 240 minutes plus of football in seven days for the Southern League promotion hopefuls.
It was Wessex Premier League side Sholing, who lifted the FA Vase at Wembley in 2014, who were first to arrive at Homers Heath last Saturday on the back of an eight-game unbeaten run. In front of their biggest crowd since the opening day, Bucks hosted an entertaining and open match with the reds creating several chances for Dan Mason and James Davis to go close and the Yellows looking dangerous down the right with Lloyd Gardner and Shane Gill combining well, the latter almost toe-poking Bucks ahead but for a vital interception by Sholing ‘keeper Ryan Gosney. If the first half was characterised by a lack of chances taken, the second provided few chances at all. Buckland had the best of a tight half while the best Sholing could manage was a long-range strike from Jamie Bulpitt which required a degree of athleticism from Fisher. T
The Boatmen finally broke the deadlock, on 100 minutes, with captain Byron Mason heading them ahead from Alex Sawyers deadly free-kick. But a five-minute spell of self-destruction undid all the hard work. First, on 111 minutes, a howler from Gosney handed Bucks a lifeline: the visiting goalkeeper completely misjudged a free-kick and ended up heading the ball straight to substitute Ellis Laight who tapped in to level. Then, on 116 minutes, substitute Jake Hoole put Gosney under pressure and the number one could only clear to Si Revell. The latter lofted the ball into Gavin Hammon who could not miss. There was still time for Dan Mason to almost force penalties, but Fisher did well to save his late effort and see Bucks through to Round Three where they will play fellow Western League side Bradford Town – again at the Heath.
A more local affair on Wednesday evening saw Bucks host Peninsula strugglers Stoke Gabriel in the quarter-finals of the Devon St. Luke’s Bowl. Stoke took the lead through Stuart Bowker, in the 27th minute, and then doubled their advantage when Ollie Aplin fired home four minutes from half-time. Gavin Hammon reduced the deficit on 78 minutes and, four minutes later, Liam Moseley completed the comeback and treat the fans to a penalty shoot-out. Gavin Hammon, Si Revell, Lloyd Gardner and Lewis Perring were on target as the hosts edged through 4-3.
Losing a two goal lead will have devastated the Railwaymen, particularly coming so soon after conceding two late goals in the league last Saturday. Olly Critchlow had given Stoke the advantage, but two minutes from time Jordan Charran equalised for visiting Withering. Kyle Bassett completed the smash and grab with a goal in the last minute.

Newton Abbot Spurs hosted Exwick Villa in a match which exploded into life with two goals in the first four minutes. Will Matthews got himself on the end of Chris Metters’ header, after visiting ‘keeper Fred Tonkin had failed to deal with Mark Brooke’s corner, to give Spurs a 2nd minute lead. But Oliver Bird converted Jordan Harris’s cross moments later to restore parity. Both sides had chances to go in to the break ahead, both Brett Wright and Lee Rigby rattling Scott Bellamy’s crossbar, and Adam Dyson testing Tonkin at the other end. After the break, Spurs’ Ian Wilkinson saw a goalbound effort cleared off the line before the third goal of the afternoon came, on the hour mark, from Brooke; he was in the right place at the right time to finish easily after Metters’ header was parried by Tonkin. The rest of the half was tight, but Spurs managed a clincher right on the whistle, Matthews beating the Villa full-back before setting up Dyson who saw his shot narrowly evade Tonkin. Spurs made the most of the momentum by taking an unlikely 12th minute lead at Tavistock in the Walter C Parson Cup Third round on Tuesday. Matthews was again involved, playing the ball to the returning Ja Andrews who crossed for Dyson to score. But the Lambs found an equaliser mid-way through the half, Lewis Daw forcing the loose ball over the line after captain Warren Daw had headed down Mike Hallett’s corner. Spurs continued to create good chances but couldn’t convert, leaving Lewis Coombes to put the home side ahead on 43 minutes with a fine finish across Scott Bellamy and into the far corner. Dyson and Shaun Bowden then squandered more chances as the second half began, the Premier side showing how it’s done with Kelvin Fyneboy’s header from Jack Crago’s cross making it 3-1 in the 49th minute. Fyneboy returned the favour, setting Crago through for a one-on-one with a minute left on the clock. The latter found the net to complete a 4-1 win that highlighted the difference in finishing rather than overall quality as Spurs continued to create – and miss – good chances throughout the match.
Teignmouth and Galmpton United both made it through to the last 16 of the Throgmorton Devon Premier Cup: Matt Eaves, Hayden Roe and Ryan Bush helped Teigns cruise past Topsham Town 3-0, while 10-man Galmpton, under new manager Richard Ridley, edged Bovey Tracey 1-0 at the War Memorial Ground. Galmpton had seen Russell Musker and Darren Watts stand down prior to the match, and afterwards it was Moorlanders’ boss Shaun Hayward who tendered his resignation.
A rusty Brixham AFC side took to the field for the first time in three weeks and lost out 4-2 at home to Crediton United. Brixham host Totnes & Dartington today with Tots buoyant following a 3-2 victory at struggling Liverton United last Saturday, Johansen and Perkins netting the goals that saw them turn around a 2-1 deficit.

East Allington United became the first team to book a Herald Cup quarter-final place, scoring four times in extra-time to end Ashburton’s hopes. The sides were locked together 2-2 at the final whistle, but the Pirates turned it on in extra-time to run out 6-3 winners in the end. United’s goals were delivered by Tom Harvey, Dan Robey (two apiece), Andy Davis and Ben White.

Moretonhampstead’s run in the cup is over with Premier side Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves too strong for the Division Five outfit. The final score from Wadley Brook was 6-2 to Spurs.

In the SDFL Premier Division, leaders Watcombe Wanderers were held 1-1 at home by Torquay rivals Waldon Athletic and now sit just two points clear of defending champions Buckland Athletic Reserves who have a game in hand; the Greens’ goal came from Lewis Woodmore. A third win in the last four sees Ivybridge Town Reserves hit fourth spot. Colin Barnard’s side added to Kingskerswell & Chelston’s disappointing start by winning 5-2 at Erme Valley Park. The visitors are now the only SDFL side yet to claim a point. Loddiswell Athletic failed to increase their tally of one with a 2-1 home reverse against Brixham AFC Reserves who are behind Ivybridge on goal difference. Kingsteignton Athletic edged Stoke Gabriel Reserves 1-0 at Broadpark

It’s tight at the top of Division One with the top four now all on 16 points. Chudleigh Athletic missed the chance to go top as they went down 3-0 at Beesands Rovers; Lee Morgan, Finley Bullen and Gus Hayward found the net for the rapidly rising Bees. Ipplepen Athletic won 2-0 at Stoke Gabriel Thirds to move up to second. At the other end, Buckland & Milber slumped to a fourth defeat in a row and have failed to score in any of them. Saturday’s victors were Bovey Tracey Reserves who celebrated a second 4-0 win over their opponents which lifted them to mid-table.

The top two in Division Two tasted more victory. Sam Edney, Sonwabile Mlenze and Royston Carrington found the net for Watcombe Wanderers Reserves as the Greens came away from Newton United with all the points, Paul Gutteridge on target for United. Roselands made it eight wins from eight with a 3-0 home derby win over Hookhills United. Bishopsteignton United remain rooted after going down heavily at Coombe Valley, Teignmouth Reserves winning 7-2.

Division Three leaders Liverton United remain in the 100 per cent club with a 3-1 triumph at Chudleigh Athletic Reserves, Tom Sercombe bagging a hat-trick for the Lillies. Ipplepen Athletic Reserves scored five without reply against Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves, for the second time this season, to lift themselves up to third spot. It was a happy homecoming for Newton Rovers who brought a string of away defeats to an end with a comfortable 3-0 success against Kingsbridge & Kellaton United at Bakers Park. Waldon Athletic Thirds rediscovered their scoring boots with six goals at home to Torbay Police; but the Clarets’ first win of the season wasn’t secured until the final whistle as their opponents managed five of their own. Upton Athletic Reserves won 3-1 at Salcombe Town to finally celebrate their first victory of the campaign. Salcombe, who scored through Lee Merchant, have now lost three home matches in a row.

In Division Four, Rooney’s strike was not enough for leaders Barton Athletic who succumbed to a first league defeat since the opening day. Riviera United wrapped up a third win on the bounce with a 3-1 victory at Furzeham Green. Broadmeadow closed to within a point as they benefited from a home walkover against Ashburton Reserves. A Sam Pyne hat-trick and a goal from Stephen Rohan helped Watcombe Wanderers Thirds to a 4-2 triumph over Roselands Reserves; Watcombe move above Roselands into third. Torquay Town are now three unbeaten after a 2-1 victory at winless Ilsington Villa. Newton Abbot ’66 enjoyed their largest win of the season, defeating Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves 5-2 at Osborne Park; Briscombe and Lightowlers put away Corries’ consolation goals.

In Division Five, Riviera United scored the only goal at Malborough United to edge into the top three. United have now failed to pick up a point since September. Stoke Fleming & Strete suffered a third consecutive defeat, 4-2 at at home to Paignton Saints Reserves who bounced back from last week’s loss with goals from Shaun Cotton (two), Aaron Underhill and an own goal. Newton United Reserves completed the double over hosts Watts, Blake & Bearne AFC with a narrow 3-2 victory, Mills with a brace and Lewis also finding the net for United.

Foxhole United routed Babbacombe Corinthians 6-0 in the Firewatch Devon Senior Cup, with Buckfastleigh Rangers joined them after a 3-1 win over Paignton Villa. Dartmouth Reserves defeated Meadowbrook 3-0 in the A&S Paving Devon Intermediate Cup.

1 Comment

Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON... ...& don't forget to tag your posts @SportSouthDevon